Saturday, March 5, 2005

Urgent--Let me own my own time

Entry Word: urgent
Function:
adjective
Text:
Synonyms:
PRESSING, burning, clamant, clamorous, crying, exigent, imperative, importunate, insistent, instant
Related Words: driving, impelling; demanding

A lot of people recently have been doing lists in their journals.  The most recent list is the 10 things the writer has done that the reader (probably) has not.  I've entertained the notion of doing such a list; it would be good for my imagination, but I am finding it difficult.  I think I need to consult with my husband and ask him to help me to remember some of my "finer" moments.  I seem to have settled into a form of complacency lately, and I wouldn't mind some kind of a lightning bolt to strike me and wake me up.  A list of my feats might do the trick.  Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I recently read articles about two poets, Kenneth Koch and Jack Gilbert.  What struck me about both men is that they seemed to understand the meaning of the word "urgent."  We see the word "urgent" in so many bland contexts that it's easy to forget the extent of its meaning.  We see it in e-mails and on our snail mail--"urgent you reply."  Our colleagues, bosses, students often leave messages on our phones:  "Urgent I speak with you."

Koch kept his work and correspondence in folders, on which he would write things like:  "Occasional poems," "Letters from before to respond to now," "Do this."  I understand from the article that his favorite label was "Urgent."  He wrote "urgent" on the front of countless folders.  URGENT!  Most of these folders remained untouched for years.  Meanwhile, he wrote beautiful poems, taught his classes quietly, competently, with humor, wrote a novel, short stories, vacationed with his wife. 

In one poem, he invokes the Greek gods as a way of illustrating the poet's role:

The exigent poet has his

   satisfactions...

But that is not the only  kind of poet

   you can be.  There is a pleasure in

   being Venus,

In sending love to everyone, in being

   Zeus,

In sending thunder to everyone, in

   being Apollo,

And every day sending out light.

Jack Gilbert experienced fame as a poet in the sixties, traveled, taught, but mostly disappeared from public view.  He felt no need to keep publishing, although he contined to write--he felt that publishing robbed the writer of savoring his own work, of letting it deepen and become richer through time.  I understand that he has published a mere fraction of what he has written--and this only at the behest of writer-friends.

What I liked most about Gilbert was that he said:

"When I was a boy, I used to pray when I went to sleep at night.  Among my prayers was:  Let me own my own time."

That--it seems to me--is worth being urgent about.

The Great Fires

by Jack Gilbert
 

  Love is apart from all things.
Desire and excitement are nothing beside it.
It is not the body that finds love.
What leads us there is the body.
What is not love provokes it.
What is not love quenches it.
Love lays hold of everything we know.
The passions which are called love
also change everything to a newness
at first. Passion is clearly the path
but does not bring us to love.
It opens the castle of our spirit
so that we might find the love which is
a mystery hidden there.
Love is one of many great fires.
Passion is a fire made of many woods,
each of which gives off its special odor
so we can know the many kinds
that are not love. Passion is the paper
and twigsthat kindle the flames
but cannot sustain them. Desire perishes
because it tries to be love.
Love is eaten away by appetite.
Love does not last, but it is different
from the passions that do not last.
Love lasts by not lasting.
Isaiah said each man walks in his own fire
for his sins. Love allows us to walk
in the sweet music of our particular heart.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh - how a propos, Theresa!  I said only an hour ago to my son, "I'm so tired of rushing."  "Then don't." he replied.  Easier said than done.  But what a beautiful sentiment and how succinctly put, Theresa.  Let me own my own time.  I love it.  Even if it is short, I SHALL own my own time, from now on.

Glad you liked Walter de la Mare.  A British secret!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I commented before Gilbert's poem was in your entry, Theresa.  "Love lasts by not lasting."  I'm not sure I agree with him - unless he is describing something like romantic or courtly love.  There are some loves that last by lasting.  I do believe that.  But it's a dense, appealing poem, full of fascinating images.  I had not heard of Gilbert before - but then there are so many you are introducing by way of this journal.  Thank you, Theresa!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Love does not last, but it is different
from the passions that do not last.
Love lasts by not lasting.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I must meditate on this, Vicky.  Perhaps he is speaking from his own experiences of "failed" love--he has had lovers and even a wife, but none lasted.  Yet perhaps he still loves them.  Another thing I thought about:  our mortality.  When you lose a love partner to death.  Your love (noun) has died, but your love (verb) is still with you and will be until you die.

Anonymous said...

"Love lasts by not lasting."  Maybe he means that love is a active, ephemeral emotion that moves from moment to moment, that renews and is constantly being reborn, and that is how it lasts - a phoenix, if you will.  And maybe one day or one moment it isn't reborn, and then it is no more.  I like your thoughts about the noun vs. verb as well.  That makes a lot of sense.

Isn't writing wonderful?  All these thoughts and conjectures arising from three short lines!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Wow, Vicky--I love that interpretation!  The J trumps the P again!!! (Smiles and hugs)

Anonymous said...

I just have two short comments.  The dialogue between you and Vicky has my mind working overtime, and I need to read the poems again...and again.  I've been living in the shallows for a couple of weeks, a welcome respite, but this entry has been a beckoning call from the deeper waters.  "Let me own my time" speaks so to my soul, and I wish I'd given this the urgency it should have.  A couple of years ago, when my time was literally scheduled by someone else, I had a dream where I'd returned from one of my repetitive trips and was unpacking my luggage.  From one bag, I poured nothing but watches, all beautiful, all different, and none of them mine.

Anonymous said...

Own my own time... i only wish I did. The pulls from all directions sometimes do me in and I sit and cry for peace.

Anonymous said...

I've been following these list making efforts as well. Rather than make a list of things I have done that others probably haven't; I made a list of abilities I once had and wished I could still do today. I was nice to reflect back. It reminds me that I have already accomplished a great deal in my short life and I can always look forward to more while living happy in the here and now. (Thanks for visiting my journal. Yours is thought provoking and literate. Very enjoyable.)

Anonymous said...

Very thought-provoking entry. Thanks Theresa. And thanks for your kind comment to my 'list' the other day.
"Own my own time" ha! What an outrageous concept!