Sunday, March 20, 2005

e. e.'s spring

stormysunset.jpg (49665 bytes)

painting by e.e. cummings

Now, this poem makes me laugh.  For Some reason, it reminds me a bit of Vogon poetry from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Sorry, e.e.

"Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes!"

Happy Spring.

 

e. e. cummings

spring omnipotent goddess Thou
dost stuff parks
with overgrown pimply
chevaliers and gumchewing giggly


damosels Thou dost
persuade to serenade
his lady the musical tom-cat
Thou dost inveigle


into crossing sidewalks the
unwary june-bug and the frivolous
angleworm
Thou dost hang canary birds in parlour windows


Spring slattern of seasons
you have soggy legs
and a muddy petticoat
drowsy


is your hair your
eyes are sticky with
dream and you have a sloppy body from


being brought to bed of crocuses
when you sing in your whisky voice
the grass rises on the head of the earth
and all the trees are put on edge


spring
of the excellent jostle of
thy hips
and the superior

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Theresa, I love it!  A bawdy, coarse version of the lyrical delicacy we have come to see in poetry about spring!!  What a great writer.

One sure sign of a great writer to me is the ability to turn accepted views on their ears.  Here cummings hurls us into a barroom with his descriptions, couched in Shakespearean language!  How great is that?  

Thank you for sharing this great lout of a poem!

Vicky

Anonymous said...

What a great way to welcome in Spring! It feels like that down here in Florida.  Vogon poetry!! LOL
I love Douglas Adams.
And I didn't know e.e. painted.
WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

I love it. judi

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Theresa. My sister, who was a poet, especially loved cummings. Her favorite! I also never knew he painted! Beautiful entry!!

V