Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Exactly As It Is

Wislawa Szymborska

Wislawa Szymborska

In my previous entry I raised the specter of numbness, that feeling of being stuck, unable to move forward with our art.  I'm not finished with the topic by a long shot, but I won't be discussing it in this entry.  I also want to address the temperament of the artist later, too, as I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately about that--views of Becker, Rank, Jung and Freud.

I ran across a poem today as I was cleaning off my desk here at home, and the poem really spoke to me.  A few months ago, I went through stacks of New Yorker magazines and cut out poems, stories, and cartoons that I liked.  This is one of the poems I cut out, "First Love" by Nobel Prize winner (1996) Wislawa Szymborska:

They say

the first love's most important.

That's very romantic,

but not my experience.

 

Something was and wasn't there between us,

something went on and went away.

 

My hands never tremble

when I stumble on silly keepsakes

and a sheaf of letters tied with string--

not even ribbon.

 

Our only meeting after years:

the conversation of two chairs

at a silly table.

 

Other loves

still breathe deep inside me.

This one's too short of breath even to sigh.

 

Yet, just exactly as it is,

it does what the others still can't manage:

unremembered,

not even seen in dreams,

it introduces me to death.

 

Of course I have no idea what the author's intent was, but, as I'm prone to do, I relate the poem to the writing process, especially storytelling.   I've found more than anything that students get tangled up in their notions of plot, what it is, what it's for, and in their fears that they can't create sufficient plots for their stories.  Interestingly, the definition of plot is: 

Main Entry: [1]plot
Pronunciation:
'plät
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English
Date: before 12th century
1 a : a small area of planted ground <a vegetable plot> b : a small piece of land in a cemetery c : a measured piece of land :
LOT
2 :
GROUND PLAN, PLAT
3 : the plan or main story of a literary work
4 : a secret plan for accomplishing a usually evil or unlawful end :
INTRIGUE
5 : a graphic representation (as a chart)
 

So really all a plot is, is a plan.  But plans change all the time, don't they?

Do our lives ever happen as planned?  Of course not.  So why should our stories, then?

I'm not the kind of writer, or reader, that's much interested in heavily plotted pieces--detective stories, who-done-its, mysteries, thrillers, action pieces.  My idea of plot is simple:  it follows John Gardner's notion that it only exists as a way to show off your characters.  The character is all.

Rather than creating zingy, complicated plots, I like  to do a close analysis of the interior lives of my characters.  That's why, surprisingly, the first definition of "plot" really works for me:  "a small area of planted ground," or "a small piece of land in a cemetery," or "a measured piece of land."  I like to think of my stories as, metaphorically, a small area, a postage-stamp of land, as Faulkner once said, where something happens to somebody.  Where a character steps through a metaphorical door, crosses a threshold, and is now in a new room, a new awareness. 

I think that's why I'm really drawn to poems like Szymborska's.  To me, what she is describing is a new awareness that the speaker has come to: what her first love taught her--that loving another is a form of death because you become absorbed into each other.  Submerging yourself in another is a form of death; it is a transformation of experience.  It is at once wonderful, a grand feeling of transcendence, and it is terrifying, because change is always unknown territory. 

I love her poem for its truth and its simplicity.   Because it blows to smithereens a common stereotype:  that first love is best love.  It lays that old dog to rest.  I love the poem for its vague eroticism:  "Other loves / still breathe deep inside me."

The poem is not static; it breathes and moves.  (To me, a plot should also breathe and move; the epiphany should happen not by plan but it should be discovered.  The plot should be, in a sense, organic, growing out of memory, intent, and present experience.)  It takes the speaker and the reader to a moment of realization.  It shows us life, strange as it may sound, exactly as it is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the reason not one of today's so-popular authors will be remembered as much more than a footnote a hundred years from now, not recalled fondly and reread the way Faulkner, and even Hemingway, bloated as he was on his fondnes for his own prose, will.  Too often a modern author confuses silly plot devices, or blatent evil, or psychological ills for plain old story-telling.  So much of modern lit is eye-candy, angling for a niche in the market, or a movie deal, and not very good reading, forgettable once you close the last page.  I wonder about the poem, your interpretation seems more possible than a poem about a love affair, but then, Ive always been more partial to the poems of Service and the romanticists of the Lost Generation, although they may take exception with me referring to them as "romanticists".  I also enjoy McCrae and Seeger and,of course, Frost.  I try my hand at poetry from time to time, a stream of consciousness that springs forth complete in my mind, and I have to hurry to write it down.  I wrote more when I was younger, words flowing from my fingertips as fast and furious as I could get them down.  Now, I take my time, sometimes leaving a piece for days or weeks, before returning to complete it.  It is a process of evolution, after all.  I will return to read more.  Bruce  http://journals.aol.com/anarchitek/thewizardofahs/  and  

Anonymous said...

Bruce, As you will see, if you stick around this journal for very long, I stretch everything for all it's worth.  I worry little about the writer's intent but take from the work, or manufacture from the work, what I need.  It is in this way that I constantly am trying to understand, find, make meaning.  It is exhausting, sometimes silly, but a whole lot of fun.  

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Theresa. Inspiring, even.You brought home to me what plot really is...simplified. Not really so difficult. I often thought I was not good at "plot" I couldn't do all those twists and turns and somehow have it all meet nicely in the end. H-mmm. I thought perhaps I wasn't intellectual because I'd much rather read a good story with zingy complicated characters than zingy, complicated plots.
As much as I like the poem, I am not sure how I would relate it as you have. But on the other hand Writing as a first love DOES introduce us to death. Submerged in this terrible NEED to write we experience every word as a painful birth. My writing professor used to say when he'd critique our work and it needed cutting..."you have to kill some of your children"
Oh! The pain of slashing away at your precious babies.

I will save that poem, however. I am thinking of sending it to MY first love, who I recently found after 30 years at the funky Classmates.com thing...And that's really Zingy.
I love that word...Zingy!LOL

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you wrote:  "I often thought I was not good at "plot" I couldn't do all those twists and turns and somehow have it all meet nicely in the end. H-mmm. I thought perhaps I wasn't intellectual because I'd much rather read a good story with zingy complicated characters than zingy, complicated plots."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a teacher of writing, I've been making a study of temperament types (rational, artisan, guardian, idealist), and what I've found is that some types aren't much interested in heavily plotted pieces.  The idealists, especially, are not much interested in plot.  I'm an idealist--I'm interested in what's going on in characters' heads.  So I struggled a lot with insecurity through the years, thinking I couldn't really write a novel.  I find a lot of my idealist students have a hard time hanging in there.  I try to gear my teaching toward each students' strengths and preferences.  Kathy, you are probably an idealist (have you ever taken the test?), which would explain your lack of interest in plot.  I just want you to know, that's okay.  There is nothing wrong with you--you are more heart than head, and heart intelligence is just as important as head intelligence.

Anonymous said...

It's an excellent poem, I've never come across it before so thanks for sharing.  Amazing how she eloquently summed up the feeling of realizing first loves are not what they're built up to be.

I relate that to your opinion of plot's inferiority to character.  The reading public generally prefers plot above all, which explains why books with increasingly convoluted plots and wafer thin characters populate the best sellers list.  A sign of our restless, quick fix-seeking society, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Well, you know my feelings about plot, Theresa!  What a beautiful interpretation.  If our minds are as fertile as the ground, then the plot IS the character, right?  And we can let the characters lead the way.  As you know, I have been re-reading your book, THE SECRET OF HURRICANES lately, and your characters are what make it, although the story is also compelling.  I am finding more and more characters in my daily life - ran across one in the newspaper today that was utterly fascinating - and thus the known becomes the unknown.  (Like the link? - smile)  OK, this idealist is going to soldier on and follow your lead,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

PS - First love?  Pshaw!  First we must DEFINE love - or we are stuck woth crushes, infatuations, etc., etc