Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Comfortably (or Uncomfortably) Numb

Pearl Buck

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:  A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive.  To them a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death.  Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create--so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, their very breath is cut off. ... They must create, must pour out creation.  By some strange, unknown, inward urgency they are not really alive unless they are creating.  Pearl Buck

I don't know how many people who are artists--or who desire to be artists--relate to Buck's statement.  I certainly do.  At first glance, this desire to create would seem like a burden.  And this is an idea I hope to discuss further in a future entry.  But if being of an artistic sensibility is a burden, then the very real and very wonderful fact is that the artist has an outlet for her or his hypersensitivity.  As the poet and essayist Diane Ackerman has stated, "Art offers a refuge from the burden of individuality."

One of the worst feelings one can have is feeling (knowing) that one is meant to create but  not being able to find the way to express that need.  It is like being lost.  I once experienced it as feeling as though I was lost in a hall of mirrors; everywhere I looked, I saw a distorted image of myself, but I was helpless to find the real me. 

There came a day of reckoning for me when I had to admit that despite all my reading and all my college degrees, I had no clue about how to proceed.  I was empty.  I had nothing to write about.  I didn't even know how to write.  From there it was a matter of taking a series of baby steps back to myself, back to the part of me that wanted to write.  It's a bit like that wonderful music film, Pink Floyd's The Wall.  Pink, an artist, is in a state of severe depression.  In finding his way back to his art again, he recalls his "little black book with the poems in it."  In other words, he goes back to when the experience of writing was new.  He has to remember that.  For him, it is a matter of being "born again" (the image is of being baptized with water from the commode; how powerful and how telling is that?)

As we go through life, the edge wears off that initial excitement we first had when we practiced our art.  This is perhaps inevitable because our brains need novelty to ignite our senses.  If we stop doing our art in order to do other necessities, our ability to do art becomes compromised.  Moreover, if we start "going through the motions" in life then what we "know" becomes dull, the truth of what we know becomes blunted.  As Hegel once said, "the known, just because it is known, is the unknown."  We begin to live as though our lives were not mysterious anymore.   Losing our contact with the mystery of life, we also lose the sense of being alive.  We sink into a state of brain rest.  Flatline.  We feel "Comfortably Numb," to borrow from Pink Floyd's famous song--or, worse, terrifyingly numb.  Is it possible to feel numb and terrified at the same time?  Yes it is.  Can you feel numb and a sense of panic at the same time?  Yes you can.  I have been there on both counts.

In a later post I would like to come back to this topic of numbness and how to get over it.  Meanwhile, I'd like to hear from others about this topic.  If you have advice, I'd love to know about it!

1

COMFORTABLY NUMB

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?

Come on, now.
I hear you’re feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.

Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts:
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re sayin’.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can’t explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb. ...

 
 

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pearl Buck and Pink Floyd in the same entry...love it! Most of my creative energy lately seems to be focused backward. I have been reflecting over my life and finding that in my reflection, I am making new realizations. Connecting past experience with current emotion. I have a feeling this is the type of thing a shrink would do for me. ;-) But the past has been a wealth of creative inspiration for me. Don't know what I will do when that well runs dry. I've only done so much living.

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed Pink Floyd's music. I must tell you though that the Album "The Wall" disturbed me. Even before I knew the words (I am hard of hearing and need to see writen words) I could feel it and it was scary. Numb is not where I want to be, but it is a place I have been, several times. It is not comfortable.

Anonymous said...

I swear to you, Pink Floyd is haunting me. Everywhere I turn, I hear them or find their lyrics. I think you've summed up where I am right now -- uncomfortably numb.  Part of me is wondering if this is because my life is getting back onto a more even keel, and I'm adjusting to the "roll" of life's ship or if I've just gotten so used to the drama that I feel like I can't write without it.

Anonymous said...

One of the worst feelings one can have is feeling (knowing) that one is meant to create but  not being able to find the way to express that need.  It is like being lost.

That is how I feel now...this time..this place. And no it is not my MS. That has merely given me the "gift" of knowing it.
"numb...terrified...and paniced."
I seem to think Alaska is my answer. Get away to a wild place where I can simply "be".
tha..."novelty to ignite my senses"  to "go back to where" everything is new and exciting.
But what if I can't for various reasons i.e. money...health?
Then like Dorothy I must click my heels and find the answers at "home" in my own backyard...in the eyes of a lizard I might see the Universe.
Thanks for this entry and for giving me the words to understand what I am thinking now.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Your writing tickles my brain in an uncomfortable way. Your highly provocative thoughts make it near impossible to remain "comfortably numb." I look forward to your further discussion on this topic of numbness.  I'm curious about your thoughts on what it may be replaced with and any merits to simply being "numb."  
http://journals.aol.com/sandybottomii/MentalJewelry

Anonymous said...

At last, some time to sit and sift through your recent entries, Theresa - my, you have been prolific of late!

This entry is beautifully written and observed.  Your logic and exposition is absolutely faultless.  And how I identify with it all.  The sensitivity that cuts like a knife, and the comfortable numbness that sometimes is a refuge, and other times is a cage.  Hegel expresses such a conundrum for those of us who want to create but feel like we can't.  (Note that I said FEEL LIKE.)   I am still teetering on the edge, as you know, and this kind of entry is so encouraging.  Thank you for your keen insight and your wonderful ability to teach.