Monday, March 21, 2005

Keep On Keeping On

I told myself when I started this blog that I wouldn't use it to talk about movies--a writer should talk about writing, I reasoned, and I still believe this; however I find I must make an exception for I Heart Huckabees.  I watched it twice today, once through and then again while listening to the director's (David O. Russell's)commentary.

I was particularly struck by how the movie touches on what I've been reading and thinking about lately--the meaning of life.  Even as I write this--the meaning of life--I realize how trite and self-absorbed it sounds.  Because I believe as Joseph Campbell does, that there is no "meaning" to life--there's just life.  As Campbell says, if you hold up a flower, you don't ask, "What's the meaning of a flower?"  And in considering the flea, you don't ask, "Or of a flea?"  What art gives us is not the "meaning" of life but the "experience of being alive."

What I love about Huckabees is that it deals with the "meaning of life" dilemma in a truly humorous way and at the same time touches on the hard truth about our existence.  Life isn't fair; it's brutal and often nasty--and, perhaps even more to the point, temporary--and we can't change that.  But in the face of that knowledge, we can be heroic by doing the best we can. 

This idea of being heroic in the face of our mortality is essentially the thesis of Ernest Becker in his excellent book Denial of Death.  Becker says that we must accept our "creatureliness," which is the fact that our body, just like that of all animals, will decay and die. Joseph Campbell, too, makes this assertion.  He talks of how "terrible" life is, given the fact that we must live it by killing and by eating, eating, eating.  Until we face up to this fact, Becker  says, we aren't really living.

I was intrigued to hear Russell mention Joseph Campbell during his commentary, repeating Campbell's thoughts on life, suffering, and Christ.  Christ's acceptance of his brutal fate should act as a prototype, Russell pointed out, for our own acceptance.  Once we accept the world for what it is, we can learn to function within it without becoming paralyzed by our insecurities.

Russell also mentions that an early influence for him was J. D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey.  (I did my Master's thesis on Salinger).  My point is that as I was watching I Heart Huckabees, I felt a deep affinity with the writer-director.  I felt we were looking at life through the same lens.  Listening to the commentary just confirmed it.

The way this entry connects to our art is that the creative life requires intense concentration and a huge leap into the unknown, a leap of faith that what we are doing is somehow worthwhile.  Does the world really need one more story?  Does it need another novel?  Or painting? 

If we give in completely to the "meaningless of life" belief, we lose the impetus to create.  If, on the other hand, we give ourselves completely to the "art as immortality" argument, we run the risk of giving in to our human ego, an idea illustrated so well in the movie when the "poet" plants photographs of himself inside a store and dreams of recognition and maybe a little Bob-Dylan-fame.

I love this movie because it reminds me not to take myself--or my art--too seriously.  It also reinforces that there is a reason and a way to keep on keeping on.
 

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about that movie.  Sometimes when you get that many stars in a film, it's guaranteed to bite.  Now, I know to add it to the Netflix queue.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this!
BTW ... I think a writer should write about
those things tug at her heart strings.

     *** Coy ***



Anonymous said...

Yes, Theresa. I really enjoyed that movie too.  It is just quirky enough, but not too quirky that it is swallowed up by itself.  It really gave me pause.  You did your master's thesis on Salinger?  I loved reading him when I was an adolescent.  I remember loving Franny and Zooey - "It's a Wise Child" never left me!  I think I have to re-read him from the ?jaundiced? view of an adult.

You said: "Once we accept the world for what it is, we can learn to function within it without becoming paralyzed by our insecurities."  Oh my, that is a tall order, but oh so accurate.  The idealist in me is always hoping for something different, something better, something fairer, but it is not to be.  The trick is to be accepting without being fatalistic.  A tall order indeed.  It requires the balance of a tightrope walker, who becomes comfortable just by doing it every day.  So be it.  Hand me my pole.


Anonymous said...

I enjoy the more "off-beat" movies because I think most other story lines in film have been done to death. It's difficult to be truly original and different these days.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie, but you have certainly piqued my interest.  Very interesting and thought provoking!  Pennie    

Anonymous said...

It's such a powerful feeling to "meet" someone whom you think is looking through the same lens.  I felt that way when I first "met" Campbell in the Bill Moyers tapes.  It's such a joy.  I feel less alone.  It doesn't happen too often, does it?  --B.

Anonymous said...

Hm. I haven't seen this movie yet, but everyone seems to like it. I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning movies in a writing blog. After all, someone did have to write the movie script (and sometimes, before that, the book).

Anonymous said...

the experience of being alive. Yes. judi

Anonymous said...

Theresa, your essay echos to themes so close to me. Most of my poetry are attempts at presenting the same thought, while living the struggle of the writing...Sort of a mini-existence.
Franny and Zooey, huh? In my mind, I keep confusing their relationship with another in an Irving book. Brother-sister.
Maybe, when you have some time, you could relive some of your thesis with us.
Sure is fun to stop here.
V

Anonymous said...

Theresa,

You did your masters thesis on Salinger?  OH my Buddha!  Can I read it?  Oh I love Salinger. I'd love to check out what you did.  I'm intrigued.  The movie--BTW--was wonderfull...speaking of which I have to get it back to the video store or I'm getting charged a late fee!  Arrgg

dave

http://journals.aol.com/ibspiccoli4life/RandomThoughtsfromaProgressiveMi