Thursday, March 31, 2005

(Billy) Pilgrim

Slaughterhouse Five

DVD /film based on the novel.  My students read the novel and viewed clips of the film.

Today in my imaginative writing class (which meets at 9:30 in the morning--much too early for a night owl like me), we discussed Slaughterhouse-Five.    We've been studying myths and the students have read two works that discuss mythological heroes, works by Joseph Campbell and David Leeming.  The students have a paper due on Tuesday which will focus on Vonnegut's hero, Billy Pilgrim.   

I wanted the students to deal with a couple of issues:  I wanted them to think about how Billy Pilgrim compares and contrasts with the mythological heroes Campbell and Lemming talk about.  And I wanted them to think about the heroes they will create in order to tell their own stories.  In what ways will their heroes be like or unlike mythological heroes.  At the heart of the matter is change.  To what extent do the old stories work and how do we need to adjust stories (and heroes) to speak to our generation.  

In Slaughterhouse-Five, Vonnegut writes,  

People aren't supposed to look back.  I'm certainly not going to do it anymore. I've finished my war book now.  The next one I write is going to be fun. This one is a failure, and had to be, since it was written by a pillar of salt. 

It begins like this:  

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.

It ends like this: Poo-tee weet?  

The thing that impresses me the most about his passage is Vonnegut's narrator's modesty.  Like Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, Slaughterhouse-Five is about an author trying to make sense of the utter senselessness of war.  That we cannot capture our experience in the lofty way we envision it is inevitable.   

Billy Pilgrim is a modern hero in the sense that he undergoes the existential dilemma so many of us face:  what is the meaning of my existence?  What is the meaning of life?  In the face of the world's horror, how do I find peace.  Can I ever be happy? 

Vonnegut writes of Pilgrim and a character named Rosewater:  "They had both found life meaningless, partly because of what they had seen in war." Slaughterhouse-Five is a story about the fire-bombing of Dresden during WWII.   Pilgrim's solution is to re-invent himself. 

In class, we talked about the writer's job, which to re-invent myths and stories for readers today.  Vonnegut writes that Rosewater felt that everything there was to know about life was in The Brothers Karamazov.  

But Rosewater now believes "that isn't enough any more."  In other words, Dostoevsky wrote for his place and time.  His work contains eternal truths, yes, but can never speak to the present generation in the same way it spoke to readers in the time it was written.    So the pilgrimage of the writer is this:  to go out in search of the words, the thoughts, the deeds, the problems, the truth that makes sense in this time, in this place.   

Poo-tee-weet?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theresa, Beautiful! And that Rosewater sure had a long interesting life!
I never saw the Movie!
V

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhh. You go girl. judi

Anonymous said...

I loved this book when I read it in school...but I never knew there was a movie! Huh...off to Netflix to add it to my queue.

Anonymous said...

very interesting...I hadn't read this one yet///
~jerseygirl
www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this book since high school....I might have to pick up a copy of it.  I have most of the great books I have read but this one just slipped my mind.  What a timely subject, but then, war is always here.

Have I mentioned loving this journal?

Christina

Anonymous said...

    I think you hit on what it is that makes a book or story a classic. How well does the words, thoughts and deeds of the charecters apply to future generations. Shakespeare's work applies in just this way. So does Stienbeck and Hemingway. I'm only sorry I haven't read Slaughterhouse-Five. I will make a point of looking for it next time I hit my local used book store. (which is quite often.)
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

I love your last paragraph, Theresa.  That is exactly the pilgrimage of the writer.  I had a strange conversation with a friend recently, a friend who takes everything very literally.  I told him I am currently reading MIDDLESEX, by Jeffrey Eugenides. (He also wrote THE VIRGIN SUICIDES.)  I told my friend that the book is about a hermaphrodite.  On finding out it is a novel, my friend asked me why does one have to write a novel about something as interesting as the pov of a hermaphrodite?  Why couldn't the writer just cover a true story?  I was stumped for a few moments.  It was the oddest question.  We talked a little more, but I wish I had had that last paragraph of yours, Theresa. It would have been just apposite.  Eugneides isn't just writing about the life of a hermaphrodite.  He is trying to make sense if it, in the time it took place, and to make sense of the lives around this person.  And if that can be done elegantly through fiction, as maybe it has to be, then that is wonderful.

Sorry, I rambled on - I'm hijacking your journal again, Theresa!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Theresa,

Everything is in The Brothers Karamazov!  I'm sure Vonnegut is right. But I've never read a better novel. I haven't read any Vonnegut. Somehow he fell off my radar. Looks like I'll have to go get this.

dave

http://journals.aol.com/ibspiccoli4life/RandomThoughtsfromaProgressiveMi/entries/290

Anonymous said...

it is my long-standing suspicion that Kurt Vonnegut Jr. is God.  if there is a God, it's him.

Anonymous said...

PS - I knew that Vonnegut was good guy - remember how he once asked my sister to marry him??!!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/