Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Comfort of Art II

Okay, I promised to share more from Conversations with John Gardner.  Every once in a while my own well begins to run dry and at such times I visit Gardner for help and support.  Conversations is a new book of mine, and I'm finding it very useful.  I've read Gardner's works on writing for years, but the interviews in this book really help to bring out Gardner's personal side, his humanity.

The first interview in the book was done in 1973.  Gardner was interviewed by Joe David Bellamy.

During the interview, Bellamy asked what Gardner meant when he claimed that fiction should perpetuate "positive" moral values.  (People who know Gardner, know he wrote a book called On Moral Fiction, which caused an uproar when it came out.  The book suggested that much of our modern literature had lost its way, its purpose.).  Gardner was quick to point out that he wasn't advocating that writers should be judgmental or preachy.  Gardner replied that by "positive" he meant that the author should believe in generosity and hope and truth. 

He told Bellamy:  "The ultimate moral value, the moral value I really look for beyond anything else, is to be exactly truthful--seeing things clearly, the process of art."

I like this idea that the process of art helps us to see things clearly.

He then said he believed there comes a point in a writer's life when he or she becomes able to see the world clearly enough to write about it and to express something hopeful.  He said it feels to the writer as though he or she has flown above the world and is looking down on it from a high place. 

I have had this feeling!  But only within the last five or six years have I felt it.

Gardner said that  The writer uses his or her imagination to "redeem the world."

Isn't this the most amazing statement?

In order to be thiskind of writer, Gardner said, one needs faith.  This is what he said about faith:

"Faith and despair have always been the two mighty adversaries.  You don't have to see it in the way of a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or any other system.  A healthy life is a life of faith; an unhealthy sick, and dangerous life is a life of unfaith. ...Faith is a physical condition, a feeling of security which enables you to think about what you're doing and yet be subconsciously alert.  Whereas unfaith, paranoia, is a total concentration which makes it impossible for your psyche and body to be alert."

Writing is an act of faith--this is what I think Gardner was saying.  Through writing, we show our ability "to be patient, to be tolerant, to try to understand and empathize."  And this, he said, is "the highest kind of imagination." 

Moreover, writing displays the author's faith, his or her faith in what holds us together, in what gives life meaning.

Then he said something that just blew me away:

"The ability to make up grand images and to thrill the reader is a nice talent, but if it doesn't include love, it's nothing--mere sounding brass."

To that I say, Amen.

I probably won't post again until I return from Big Sur.   The days will be very full.  I'll be the leader for three workshops, one on finding significance in one's writing, one on the "shadow" in writing, and one on autobiographical fiction.  I will take lots of photos and share the experience with you when I get back.

Take care of yourselves, everyone.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

    Have a good, safe and productive trip.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! Teach them, as you teach us. You'll be a hit! Thanks for this entry.... Gardner is IT!

Anonymous said...

I hope Big Sur is wonderful.  My thoughts will be with you. I absolutely have to read "Conversations..." now.  I found myself nodding with everything you quoted, and when I read his paraphrase of Corinthians, I actually yelped. That described some of the easy, descriptive "toss off" work I mentioned in my e-mail to you. I'm actually feeling like a happy idiot now who's seeing something that's been under my nose forever, faith...writing, writing...faith.  I've longed used writing to explore one specific aspect of my faith, but sweet idiot that I am, just now realized that I'm actually exercising a broader form of faith.  I think I know what I've been running from lately. Dang, I love these A-has!

Anonymous said...


It is worth mentioning, for future reference, that the creative power which bubbles so pleasantly in beginning a new book quiets down after a time, and one goes on more steadily. Doubts creep in. Then one becomes resigned. Determination not to give in, and the sense of an impending shape keep one at it more than anything.
Virginia Woolf

"Nowadays, anyone who wishes to combat lies and ignorance and to write the truth must overcome at least five difficulties. He must have the courage to write the truth when truth is everywhere opposed; the keenness to recognize it, although it is everywhere concealed; the skill to manipulate it as a weapon; the judgment to select those in whose hands it will be effective; and the cunning to spread the truth among such persons."
Bertolt Brecht

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.
Albert Einstein

Thank you for these thoughts and wisdom from Gardener- Have a delightful trip!
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Therese Thank you for sharing this...I wish every writer in J-Land could read this post...Love, Courtenay

Anonymous said...

Oh.....this entry has inspired me!


I am off to contemplate the shadow of my writing, my positive morals and expecting greatness to evolve from your tender words.


Thank you and I would pay to attend the workshop.  I would.

Anonymous said...

I love this entry!  It really resonates with me, Theresa.  Thank you so much for sharing it.  Gardners's comment about looking down and seeing life as a whole is very much a forest/trees statement.  When I was younger, I knew what it meant, but I couldn't feel it.  I was very much a trees person, as are so many of the youngsters I work with.  Now, as I finally mature, I find myself more of a forest person, although sometimes it's fun, and utterly and totally irresponsible (in a good way of course), to play among the trees - and to heck with the forest!

Looks like I may be the source of envy this weekend...  ;)

Love, Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post. Courtnay sent me over here..I'm glad she did..I'm putting you on alerts...great stuff...Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

Writing is an act of faith--this is what I think Gardner was saying.
Theresa, that`s perfect!

I love your musings....Thanks & hugs.
V

Anonymous said...

Big Sur!!
Enjoy!
I hope you feel the ghost of Fritz Pearls.
V

Anonymous said...

Theresa - well, you made my weekend at Esalen. It's rare for me to find someone at whose feet I'm willing to sit, but the "rich buttercream icing" was to be so moved, so directed, so seen, so encouraged.  Until now, I had not had a clear path into my stories. You gave me a process of fwriting art to help me see things clearly, as Gardner says. And, I feel I came home with a new companion or two on the path.

I believe that we do redeem the world and I see, in myself, and others, that the turning point is often some event (many times in mid-life) that drives us into choosing empathy and compassion instead of rage and despair , and thus into the loving detachment necessary to be positive without being "Pollyanna-ish."

I look forward to future posts...Nika

Anonymous said...

yes, all creation is an act of faith.............. very nice post. Safe journey. judi