Sunday, September 4, 2005

AWARE!

I've not posted for a few days because I've been trying to process what has happened in the American South as a result of Katrina.  I needed to process that event through the prism of other things I've been thinking about the last few days.

I've long wanted to do an entry on the importance of being AWARE when we write.  The recent hurricane has given us all a lesson in awareness.  Certainly, many who were in the hurricane's path--before and after--felt America had no awareness of them.  Was the president aware of the misery of the people when he gazed down at them from Air Force One?  Was he aware when he hugged the two little girls who said they'd lost everything in the storm? 

My friend Beth recently did a wonderful entry on awareness.  In her entry Just a Vignette, she writes of stopping to help a young university student in need, a blind student whose awareness  surpassed that of his sighted counterparts. 

There is also a wonderful Sufi story about awareness that I'd like to share now:

Junaid had a young dervish he loved very much, and his older dervishes became jealous.  They couldn't understand what Junaid saw in the young man.  One day, Junaid told all his dervishes to buy a chicken in the marketplace and then kill the chicken.  However, they had to kill the chicken when no one could see them.  They were to return by sundown at the latest.

One by one the dervishes returned to Junaid, each with a slaughtered chicken under his arm.  Finally, when the sun went down, the young dervish returned, with a live chicken still squawking and struggling.  The older dervishes all laughed and whispered among themselves that the young man couldn't even carry out Junaid's orders!

Junaid asked each of the dervishes to describe how they carried out his instructions.  The first man said he had gone out and purchased the chicken, then returned home, locked the door, closed the curtains over all the windows, and then killed the chicken.  The second man said he returned home with his chicken, locked his door and pulled the curtains, and then he took the chicken into a dark closet and slaughtered it in there.  The third man also took his chicken into the closet, but he blindfolded himself, so he himself would not see the slaughtering.  Another man went into a dark, deserted area of the forest to sacrifice his chicken.  Another went into a pitch black cave.

Finally, it was the young man's turn.  He hung his head, embarrassed that he couldn't follow Junaid's instructions.  "I brought the chicken into my house, but everywhere in the house there was a presence.  I went into the most deserted parts of the forest, but the presence was still with me.  Even in the darkest caves, the presence was still there. 

There was no place I could go where I was not seen.

I interpret the presence in this story as awareness.  It's a reciprocal act, I think:  we are aware of "something" and "something" is aware of us.  This reciprocity is something Beth gets across so well when she describes the young blind student putting his hand on her shoulder.  It's the reciprocity of feeling and awareness that the president couldn't feel until, perhaps, he spoke with those two little girls and embraced them.  It's the reciprocity only the youngest dervish felt when he couldn't kill the chicken.

I think that, for many of us, real writing can't take place until we feel this kind of presence, this kind of awareness.  And it's an amazing experience.  I know that without this awareness, my writing is glib, boring, and dead.

I'm not sure how much sense this entry makes.  I only know I had to somehow knit all these thoughts together because they are important to me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me...the more I die to myself...the more I am aware of His presence..like the more  I spurn pride..the more agape love I feel...somehow it is in the nothingness that we feel everything...of late in my life the very things which mattered my entire life no longer matter...so strange...that precisely the moment I achieved all my dreams ...I am almost ashamed I pursued such materialistic pursuits...the human condition seems to be all that is important now...http://journals.aol.com/courtenaymphelan/RAMBLINROSE/

Anonymous said...

    Your entry makes a lot of sense. I've written two books that I'm particulary fond of. The first one I didn't experience as much as I had the second. It is the second that I think is better. I like it better even. Although the event that influenced this story is something that sits on my spirit like an open scab.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

This makes perfect sense to me.  We must be fully present ourselves when we write (frankly when we truly live), but lack the self-consciousness that closes us off to what we see and experience.  

Anonymous said...

Awareness is something some people never get other than awareness of self. As far as Bush getting it....I doubt it. He is going by what he is being adviced to do.

Anonymous said...


We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
Anaïs Nin

This is a rich, well-defined entry. Thank you for taking the time to process- which we all are doing in the aftermath of this tragic storm.

ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this.  Awareness, mindfulness, presence... so easy to lose and so difficult to find and maintain.  I am coming to believe almost everything I thought or felt is mostly an illusion.  --Love, Beth

Anonymous said...

PS - I forgot to sign off - thank you for helping me form my thoughts, my dear,

Love, Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

As ever, eloquently and movingly expressed, Theresa.  Yoga teaches us to be totally in the present, and in the calm and peace of the studio, this is a beautiful thing.  Being totally in the present while huddled in a stinking sports stadium is a different matter.  On the other hand, being totally aware and in the present, we can only be mindful of what is happening now and now and now and it keeps us grounded.  We don't fear the future and we don't regret the past.  May those of us fortunate enough to have escaped the hurricane and its terrible consequences be mindful of what we have now and of what we can do for those who are suffering in the now.

My recent journal entry was about my happiness in my new home.  As I wrote, I was very happy and content.  This morning, when I read the harrowing story in the paper of the six-year-old boy carrying his five-month-old baby brother in his arms and shepherding five toddlers as they wandered the streets of an unfamiliar town, I wept.  Acting on and in the now makes us better human beings.

Anonymous said...

beautiful story and thoughtful entry as always. judi

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!
Sorry, I`ve been sick for 2 weeks. I`ll be back more often. Flu!!
V

Anonymous said...

Loved your definition of AWARENESS, Theresa.  How many great writers have in some way discussed or talked about this as the foundation to good writing?  My own experiences in writing the first draft for our new screenplay have underlined the importance of being present when you are writing, of really understanding the world of which you write.  Of doing the right thing, even if you are breaking a rule in order to accomplish that mission.  Brava!

http://journals.aol.com/stevendenlinger/DevelopingDreams/