Sunday, October 2, 2005

Big Sur and Esalen

This photo was taken on Sunday afternoon, after the Esalen experience had ended.  Yes, I look tired, and I was tired.  It was a very intense experience, flying for the first time, seeing California for the first time, and meeting many new people.

Big Sur, of course, is so beautiful.  This photo was taken on Hwy 1, just outside of Esalen.  Driving the highway is exhilarating.  Often you can look out your window and see the cliffs dropping straight down to the ocean.  Every new turn presents something breathtaking.  I'd never seen anything like it before.

Esalen itself is a veritable utopia.  The sweet aroma of flowers mixed with the clean breeze off the pacific, the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks, and the generous nature of all participants felt marvelous, albeit a bit overwhelming.  Please understand, I'm one who is easily overwhelmed.  My preferred existence is quiet and calm.  My preferred existence is solitude.  So Esalen was a bit of a sensory overload for me.  It simply was almost too much for me to process, and I'm still working at taking it all in. 

I will say that I don't believe I've ever met so many kind, generous, and accepting people all in one place.  You felt like you could be completely yourself at Esalen

As some of you know, I was able to meet fellow blogger Vicky (My Incentive) at Esalen.  See her entry, "Too Full To Speak."  How strange is life.  Before The Sun invited me to Esalen to lead  workshops, I would have never dreamed I would meet Vicky in person.  She was an "Internet friend," precious but just a little bit abstract.  Even the snail mail we exchanged didn't quite quell the sense for me that Vicky was a far-off angel, precious but forever out of range.  Now we've met!  It was so easy to be with her, so comforting.  Vicky is so alive, and she is so easy to love.

The Sun had 80-something participants.  Each participant chose four workshops to attend during the weekend.  Workshops were scheduled on Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning.  I led three workshops--one on finding meaning in one's story, one on using the shadow in one's writing, and one on autobiographical fiction.

The participants were so open.  They were so guided by a spirit of discovery.  Although many came burdened by fears and doubts, most overcame them enough to create some stunning writing.  Those who were unable to write "on the spot" (I certainly could identify with them; I, too, have a hard time creating spontaneously) took with them the tools they needed to write in the comfort and privacy of their own space.

On Saturday night, the group leaders all read from their work.  I read from my novel, The Secret of Hurricanes.  Gillian Kendall read a piece previously published in The Sun.  Alison Luterman (who was my roommate) read powerhouse poems from her published collection, The Largest Possible Life.  David Romtvedt read poems from various published sources.  And the editor of The Sun, Sy Safransky, read his "Notebook" piece which appears in this month's (October 2005) Sun.  Sy's voice brings a wonderful gravity to what he writes. 

Hearing all the authors read from their work was, for me, like going to church, like experiencing an exceptional service, one you'll always remember.  Listening to the readers, I said to myself, This is how our stories and poems are supposed to be shared--out loud.    

How few opportunities really exist for this kind of encounter with writing, unfortunately.

I attended the AWP Writing Conference when it was in Chicago.  It fed my spirit, and I'd like to attend another AWP Conference someday, perhaps even lead a session there.  But Esalen was by far a better experience for me.  It was less "hurried," if that makes sense.  Although I was very busy working with groups and meeting people afterwards, I never felt rushed.  I never felt anxious in the same way I so often do in some academic situations. 

Yes, I was in my element at Esalen.  Yes, indeed.

Now that I'm home, I have to try to hold onto what Esalen gave me.  Not just hold onto it, but pass it on.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Theresa.  I've been anxiously waiting for your report.  I spoke to Vicky about it, and she dreamily described you with the same degree of love that  you have for her.  Wonderful to meet internet friends and find that you like the real person as much as you like the verbal construct.

I do envy the experience you had.  I just spent two days in Santa Barbara, and it was marvelous and relaxing:  the air up there by the sea is just amazing, and the nights were so peaceful....

So glad your experience was overwhelming.

Warmly,
Steven
http://journals.aol.com/stevendenlinger/DevelopingDreams/

Anonymous said...

What sweet words, my dear.  And your description is resonating with me, taking me back there.  I do believe that Esalen, with its location and history, both recent and ancient, has its own very special magic, but the people there brought theirs, too, and the whole experience was heady in the extreme.  

Listening to the works read aloud was beautiful - how you brought Pearl to life for me!! - and as I told you (and him), David Romtvedt's work made me weep.  

As I recently wrote, holding onto the magic has been hard for me, but I will persist, as I know you will.  I am so glad you saw the beauty that my beloved California (and Esalen in particular) offers, and am delighted you want to pass it on.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Yes- you definitely have the look that one gets after being this close to the edge of the coast- and you will not need to "try to hold onto" it- It is yours forever- I promise-
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely lovely. I'm so glad you had a good time! And glad you're back lol

And that picture of you really isn't bad. Honestly it isn't lol

~Lily

Anonymous said...

Theresa, thank you for sharing the beauty and grace of your experience at Esalen; the scenery, the other like minded spirits, your meeting with Vicky.  I feel I was able to share it with you and now I have a tiny mental glass jar on my desk, with "The Spirit of Esalen" in it.  My heart feels lighter.  Love, Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh, Theresa, this sounds incredible and confirms everything I read in Vicky's journal  That incredible feeling of acceptance, especially when one is sharing their creative works, is precious.  Not in cutesy interpretation, but precious like rare jewels.  I believe that alone can nurture more beautiful work.  I am so glad you had this opportunity, and I'm jealous as hell that you and Vicky got to meet.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience, it sounds just beautiful. I was lucky enough to have my sister who lives on the West Coast take me on a tour of the ocean road from Washington State into California - we didn't travel the whole route, but enough that I could feel God's hands at work in the beauty of the place. Coming from over grown cities, the open spaces blew my mind...just beautiful...Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/PoeticJourneyOfTheSoul

Anonymous said...

to drive the entire length of the PCH (highway 1) ... IS TO SNAKE THROUGH THE SOUL OF AMERICA ... GOOD AND BAD ... like conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS.

 So happy you enjoyed yourself

Anonymous said...

ah yes...writing and church for me are, in fact, very much the exact same experience.  Great way to put it!

How I long to take a workshop from you.

Teach me oh teacher....

Christina

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you finally got to meet Vicky!

Anonymous said...

Theresa, you look wonderful! [tired, but wonderful!]
I`m so happy for you!
And Theresa is a flier!!  Woo Hoo!
By the way, the friend who I lent "the secret of hurricanes" to? She is a Ph.D. psychologist. I lent her two others at the same time; Life of Pi & Secret Life of Bees. She loved all three, but thought yours best! Smart Woman!
V

Anonymous said...

I have to admitt I'm not very aware of all the writer's workshops that go on.  I had no idea what you were talking about until I clicked the link.  I envy your freedom to visit these places.  Hopefully in a few years when I am less saddled by children I can go to some of these places myself.  I imagine I would find it just as spiritual and fulfilling.

Great journal by the way,  I am an avid reader.

SINS

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!  I've missed you.

Judi

p.s. - you look BEAUTIFUL.

Anonymous said...

I'd heard a lot about Esalen. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience. The west coast is marvelous...rocky and wild. I remember those  cliff drops as you drove the highway.
Thanks for coming by my journal.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

rocks rocks rocks rocks....... :):) judi

Anonymous said...

    Hello, Theresa !  What a terrific picture, and what a beautiful place.  Big Sur is one of my favorite spots.   I haven't been there in a few years, but I will get back soon.  There is just something about being in those surroundings that makes me feel inspired.  And rich ... with life.  Glad to hear that Esalen was a good experience for you.  Tina    http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

Me, too, when it comes to quiet, calm, and solitude.  Me, too, when it comes to sensory overload.  But for the money, I would have been there, enjoying the atmosphere and feeling lucky to be overloaded with such good thoughts and good people.