Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"Lisping Egos"

Cynthia recently did an excellent entry in her blog, Sorting the Pieces.    She presented the Charles Bukowski poem, "Poetry Readings."  Bukowski's poem elicited agreement in her readers about the prevalence of stale writing.  Here is a brief sampling of the poem:   

I am ashamed for them,
I am ashamed that they have to bolster each other,
I am ashamed for their lisping egos,
their lack of guts.
if these are our creators,
please, please give me something else:
a drunken plumber at a bowling alley,
a prelim boy in a four rounder,
a jock guiding his horse through along the
rail,
a bartender on last call,
a waitress pouring me a coffee,
a drunk sleeping in a deserted doorway,
a dog munching a dry bone,
an elephant's fart in a circus tent,
a 6 p.m. freeway crush,
the mailman telling a dirty joke
anything
anything
but
these.
 

In my response to Cynthia's entry, I pointed out that I have been as guilty as anyone of producing elaborate yet dry, stuffy writing.   

One of my major bugaboos has always been the desire to be taken seriously.  So when I took my first creative writing class way back in 1981, a 300-level workshop, I set out to write a masterpiece.  And I was sure I'd accomplished this goal when my first story came up for workshop, for my classmates praised me up and down.   

However, after class my teacher asked to speak to me.  Much to my horror, he revealed to me that my classmates had been wrong about my story.  He told me my writing was terrible, that the language was inflated  and that the story lacked heart.   

Indeed, my story would have fit Bukowski's description perfectly, for it was the product of a "lisping ego."  

When I wrote my second story, I  sent my family out of the house and sat looking at my Smith Carona typewriter humming on the Formica tabletop a long time before I began typing.  Five hours later, I felt I'd produced the most dreadful story in the world.  I'd put words on the page without giving any thought to symbolism or grand themes.  My story was too simple to ever be thought of seriously, I thought.  

However, on the day my story was supposed to be workshopped, the teacher, who had seriously burned his foot that very morning, told us he was in a lot of pain would have to dismiss us.    But before we left, he told me he admired my story and looked forward to workshopping it.  I felt my jaw drop and thought he must be mad.   

As it turned out, this second story, while it had its fair share of flaws, was a very good story.   I'd gotten it down in a rush, before I'd had time to think about it too much and ruin it with intellectual gobbledygook.  

As the years went on, I had my ups and downs with writing, mostly downs.  It took me years to crawl out of my dismal hole of self-doubt.   But eventually I came to believe a few things about writing that have carried me forward.  

*  We should write toward simplicity.  

*  If you don't know what your poem, story, memoir, or novel means, you can't expect your reader to know either. 

*  Fearlessness is the furnace of desire, and without fearlessness, writing is cold and dead.  

It would be terrible to think Charles Bukowski would rather experience anything (even an elephant's fart in a circus tent), rather than read something I had written.  I love Bukowski's poems; they continue to teach me about simplicity;  the power of honesty;  fearlessness.  This tough, gristled man eschewed sentimentality in favor of brutal honesty, and I love his work for this very reason.  

Whenever I feel my work is coming from a "lisping ego," I stop what I'm doing.  Writing that comes from my ego lacks guts.   It may be pretty, it may be slick, it may be praised by people who read it.  Indeed, it may even get published. 

But it is dead in all the ways that matter to me and so it is useless to me.  As useless as all the "anything[s]" in Bukowski's poem, "Poetry Readings."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

and ruin it with intellectual gobbledygook.  



Hear, hear!!!!!   More often than we realize good ideas are killed by words.

I try to write from my gut but sometimes the thing eludes me!

I love your journal and the lessons to be learned here....but what I love most is when you let your hair down.

Christina

Anonymous said...

    I used to participate in a community writing group. What turned me off was that the moderator, a so called expert, used to read us her work as examples of what we should emulate. She was a really poor writer, and I think it was mostly her ego tying up her thoughts. It was truly sad, because there was so much to learn, and so much we didn't do. I appreciate your imput into the writing process. It is hard enough when I'm by myself and I have no one to share these thoughts with.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, like, does that mean I can't start my story with "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"?  ;-)  For some of this, perhaps this ego-driven writing is part of the process.  Maybe I had to work through it to get to the fearlessness.  I'm not there yet.  But I was afraid to start my entry "serial blog."  And I wondered why.  Oh, I know why:  it's stupid, it'll hurt someone, it'll hurt me.  Now that's pretentiousness.

Love your blog.  --Beth

Anonymous said...

Sometimes people just try too hard to be what they think others expect instead of just allowing it to flow.

Anonymous said...

Wow!  What a stunning capture of the moment when you finally understood the right-brain process that produces beauty.

I teach my seventh-grade students how to use the right brain to write the rough draft, the left brain to edit.  I intend to read them this piece.

Lovely.  Powerful.  Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Have you thought about writing a book about the creative process?  You probably have everything you already need right here on your blog.

Steven

http://journals.aol.com/stevendenlinger/DevelopingDreams/

Anonymous said...

How do you know what you know?  How do you know what you don't know?  Bad writing--when it's someone else's--is easy to spot.  When it's mine, well, that's never happened!  It is all too much of a mystery.  

Anonymous said...

Terrific stuff! Yes- Please consider publication of this entire blog series on writing!
But- This entry of course involves many issues- including the talent of an artist and mentor-
Your initial spark to write a masterpiece serves you well- and siphons into your writing- no matter what anyone says- so must be respected- and nurtured as an artist grows.
Toward this- a mentor can deliver "brutal honesty" in many forms- Of course, you are excellent at this- With experience, some of us even understand the passionate teachers who yell and scream in pursuit of wrenching the best from us- However, hopefully, another kinder, patient approach is also part of the mentoring process- Because the steps toward technique are slow and hard- But for the beginning artist, these are fragile, essential, often painful awakenings, and rebounding efforts-
Workshop members or fellow writers know that they cannot be helpful without sharing honest reactions to creative work. The tone and substance of these reactions are greatly influenced by the workshop leader or fellow writer's point of view. If no postive guidelines are set, the process is useless and can be harmful to the young artist.
This does not mean avoiding truth- Without this, an artist cannot develope fully- First and primary, is the truth the artist must face himself. He becomes his own master. Ego is extinguished in this fire.
There is a difference between the artist and mentor- Both involve great skill.
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, nice to meet you.  I was just given this link by someone I am getting to know here in Jland.  This really hits home for me.  Thank you.  I can usually sit down and "let it spill", but sometimes, in that, I find myself worrying about the readers perception.  What a fantastic check valve to have.  I'm glad I was directed here.  I am alerted. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Bravo!  Great entry.  Bukowski is one of my all time favorite writers.  That man makes me salivate,  and it is for his simplicity.  

I am so uncomfortable at most readings where people do not expect honest critique just praise.  

SINS
http://journals.aol.com/octoberroots/Tidbits

Anonymous said...

My dear Theresa, thank you for your honesty about your own beginnings.  And how far you've come since then!  

Intellectual gobbledygook...from a lisping ego - ouch, that hits home.  Mine comes from the intellectual snobbery that endowed my early schooling, and remains, more or less, to this day - and that is ohsohard to shift.  

Time to heave open the floodgates and take a peek at what may lie behind them.  Thank you, as ever, for the encouragement to us all.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated, Theresa. Something I have to remember.
I want to Email you about my feelings about " Hurricanes ",but I`ve lent the book to someone special and she begged me to let her best friend read it. Needless to say, your poetry flows throughout!
{{{ Hugs }}}
V

Anonymous said...

I always save the first few copies of any poem I write. They are often much more powerful than the ones I rework forever!