Saturday, April 30, 2005

In The Spirit of Basho

Wooden Image of Basho

Tokugawa period, provenance unknown. Collection of Nakagawa Sōen Rōshi, on loan to the Maui Zendo.

The last week has been busy.  It was the last week of classes, and everyone knows what that's like.  Next week is finals week, and it will be a busier week than I thought because I just found out I will need to go out of town for two days on a job-related matter.

Last night, my friend from the university, Paula, threw a party for the two of us.  She called it "Down the river and up a creek."  I am going down the river, and she will be up a creek financially because she has decided not to return to teaching next year.  Instead, she is going to work on her book, Silver Girl.  I salute her in her decision to put her writing first.

Allen and I are behind on travel preparations because of weather.  Snow and now rain.  Rain, rain, rain.  We are leaving on May 14, no matter.

The last months I have read so much about the Ohio River.  I have read many travel narratives, from many places and times.  It is all a vortex of information that I'm trying to sort out.

I do know my original inspiration for writing a travel journal was Basho's "Narrow Road to the Interior."  (I have written of Basho before in this journal).  He wrote his travel diary about a spring and summer foot journey in 1689.  His diary is in the form of a haibun, a form that combines short prose passages with haiku.

Basho was greatly influenced by Tsurayuki, who wrote 700 years prior to Basho.  Tsurayuki's sources of inspiration were all melancholy:

Looking at fallen blossoms on a spring morning.

Sighing over snows and waves which reflect the passing years.

Remembering a fall from fortune into loneliness.

It  occurred to me that my writing is inspired by similar things.  And I want my narrativeto reflect these things.  Yet I also want my narrative to be informative, historical, and fun. 

I am just now realizing what a daunting task it is going to be to assimilate all of the information and syles I have gathered.  Exciting but a great challenge.

I am still very interested in collecting questions about my Ohio River Journey.  Please  post those to "Theresa's Book of Questions."  Or at least stop by this entry to read others' questions.

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry, Theresa.  I want to read Basho.  Beth

Anonymous said...

A party for the two of you - how wonderful!  

I can hear your excitement about your trip, Theresa.  I can't wait - though I shall SORELY miss you.  

Love, Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to the start of your journey!

Anonymous said...

    As you said, it is a challange. You're up to it. Have faith in yourself, and good luck. I am looking forward to reading your answers.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

stories from your trip will be so interesting!

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful!
V

Anonymous said...

don't work too hard and soon you will rest!! judi

Anonymous said...

WOWSER best of luck to Karen... what a choice to make, brave but somehow it must be like loosening a burden. Good luck with finals and all your preparations. What an exciting journey. Thanks for the info on good ol Basho and the reminder of Tsurayuki... hadn’t heard of that name since my journey to Japan. Speaking of journeys, God speed.

Anonymous said...

I wish your friend well !  A friend and former Tai Chi student of mine quit work a few years ago to write--and sold his first two books for two million dollars!  While we are happy that Jack Kerley did well financially, what is great to see is how happy and relaxed he looks.  He is also a neighbor of ours down here in the Historic District.

Anonymous said...

i love Basho's Narrow Road! it is one of my favorite travel narratives.  you do indeed have a daunting task ahead.  and a joyful one.  my heart goes with you.