Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Same Problems As Before

I recently received an e-mail from a woman who is, like me, middle-aged.  She got my e-mail address from an issue of The Sun in which my story "Blue Velvis" appeared.  She's intelligent, well educated, well read.  She spent a long time studying to prepare herself for a job she ultimately hated, but that paid well.  She loves to write, has always wanted to be a writer. 

She is in that writer's limbo--that place where she's created stories that are "almost there" but nobody seems to be able to explain to her why they aren't getting published when she sends them out. 

She asked me some questions about writing, and I told her if she didn't mind, I'd answer her questions in this journal. 

She didn't mind, so here we go.

One of the questions she asked was about the present rate at which writers are paid.  She wondered what I thought about it.  Well, I don't like it, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

The truth is, the opportunities for publication are shrinking.  I just recently saw that The Atlantic, one of the last holdouts for fiction, is cutting out its monthly fiction offering.  (Although, the fiction editor says, once a year a special fiction issue will probably publish as many stories as they would   have throughout the year anyway; we'll see). 

Not only are there fewer magazines publishing fiction, the pay is slim to nil in most cases.  Most literary magazines pay writers in copies; a few do pay a small amount, almost always under $100.  Commercial publications like The New Yorker  pay better, but it's hard, nearly impossible, to break into The New YorkerThe Suna non-profit magazine with NO ADVERTISING, is actually one of the few magazines to pay its writers a decent price for their fiction and essays--$600-plus  per story.  (This is because the editor, Sy Safransky, moves in the world in an entirely ethical manner.  Those of you who have read The Sun and know the history of the magazine understand how hard he worked to make the magazine into what it is today.)

Also, publishing houses are forming huge conglomerates.  The small presses are being bought up by the large presses, who are driven by the blockbuster mentality, creating fewer and fewer opportunities for the first-time novelist.

The upshoot:  Most of us who write don't make a living off our writing.  Only a precious few do that--the rest of us, we write because we must.  We secure our finances by other means. 

Even if you publish a novel, the chances are you won't make much money off of it.  This is the truth:  If I added up my advance and royalty payments and then subtracted the money I spent traveling in order to promote the book (not even to mention the hours and hours I spent writing the book), I wouldn't do much more than break even at this point.  Few first-time novelists sell more than 1000 books.  My print run was 5000 and fewer than half of those have been sold (that is including libraries, which accounted for the majority of my sales).  Then consider the used book market--the writer gets no money when her book is sold as used.  Amazon is even selling review copies of my novel, which were given away to book reviewers.  The review copies are missing key scenes, so those readers aren't even getting the full reading experience that I intended.  The whole thing is maddening. 

So you quickly see that even after your book is finished, accepted, and published, you still can't count on it as a form of financial compensation. 

Now, let's talk of better things.

Let's talk about being a writer.  Calling ourselves that--writers.  Being able to understand why, in the face of all the defeat and lack of material compensation, we still want to write.

In her e-mail, the woman who read "Blue Velvis" and wanted to talk to me about writing told me she  has read Brenda Ueland, John Gardner's books on writing, and a  plethora of other "how to" books on craft.  She wrote to me:

"Each time I think this one is going to do it, this one is going to remove that last barrier, and while I'm reading them, I often believe it will be the case.  Then, I reach the last page, put the book down, and still face the same problems as before."   

And now, here is where I have to get real.  I can't pretend to have an answer for all writers.  I can just tell you how things happened for me.  I found that the "last barrier" was something that no book could break, only I could break it.    The "last barrier" was my dragon that I had to slay.  Everybody's dragon is different.  Mine was my inability to write from my heart because I thought I was so insignificant or naive or clueless or fill in the blank  that nobody would care what I had to say.  My dragon said, "You can't write a book.  You aren't smart enough.  You aren't good enough.  Nobody will care.  It will end up in the slush pile.  Think of all the people who write books that are never published.  Some of those people write better than you do, and they aren't published.  What makes you think anybody is going to publish you?"  

And on and on.  

For years I wrote what I thought others wanted to read, what I thought would impress others.  My writing wasn't "true."  Although the writing was proficient, even good in places, it didn't speak to readers because I didn't have the right investment in it.   

I know that all  writers invest a lot in terms of time, effort, sweat, and blood.  But I found that I had to put everything on the line when I wrote, put my head on the chopping block with my future reader holding the axe.  Nothing could come between me and the truth I needed to tell, the truth my reader needed to  read.   It was the idea of "truth" that helped me to slay my dragon.  

I think everybody first has to find their dragon, then they have to kill it.   

I hope the woman who e-mailed me will hang in there.  She seems passionate about writing.  Persistence is all.   I know that what I've said in this entry doesn't paint authorship in a very positive light--but that's only if you're thinking about it in terms of material wealth.  There are other kinds of wealth.  Brenda Ueland says that even if you never  publish any of your writing, it's still important that you wrote.  She says:  

[William] Blake used to say, when his energies were diverted from his drawing or writing, "that he was being devoured by jackals or hyenas."  

Ueland also tells the story of when Van Gogh was young and in London and was writing a letter to his younger brother in Holland.  Van Gogh looked out the window and saw a lampost and a star and it was so beautiful.  In his letter, Van Gogh wrote, "It is so beautiful I must show you how it looks." 

And, Ueland says, "on his cheap ruled note paper, he made the most beautiful, tender, little drawing of it."   The creative impulse came out of a need to share something beautiful.  I believe if we follow this as a goal, we can't go wrong.  I held this thought as I wrote through 6 long years I spent working on The Secret of Hurricanes.  I thought of Van Gogh making that little drawing for his brother and thought of my writing as doing the same sort of thing, putting my whole heart into something because it mattered to me.

You might publish your book and make a million dollars; but the chances are better that you won't. 

So you need to remind yourself of this:  you write because you love to write.  You need to write.  Somebody else needs to read what you write.    And you need to let the rest (hopes of fame, glory, or even making ends meet off your writing) go.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here!!!

(Or is it hear, hear.....hum, one wonders.)

I never thought of it as a dragon but see that it indeed fits.  Lovely entry.

Anonymous said...

    I  enjoyed reading this, and found it to be helpful.  Like you, I find that my biggest problem with my writing is being honest, and for the same reasons.  It is tough to expose yourself for who you really are.  I am hoping that with time, and experience, I'll get to the point where I can open up and be myself.  God willing, I'll live long enough to see this happen !!   Tina
              http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

You are a true realist. I think too many people have these romantic notions of becoming the next Stephen King or J.K. Rowling. I also fantasize about winning the lottery...that is just as likely. LOL

Anonymous said...

You know that something in me has rebelled against too much reading on the craft of writing.  I know that I have much to learn (who doesn't?), butso much of what I have read and studied on the craft has distanced me from my writing and made it artificial.  Finding that balance between exercising the real skill of writing and completely engaged honesty is as much a psychological struggle as it is a lesson learned.  I feel like I need the work on the psychological end right now.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing from the heart, what a great way to answers someone's questions...right here on line for all of us to get the benefit of the answers.  I'm a poet, and thus this qualifies me as a writer too, however to claim that I am a writer is harder than claiming I am a poet.  Wonder why this is.  I'm not sure what my dreams are with writing but I know that I have no other choice now then to write.  The dragon certainly does need slain but most importantly I believe is to belive in yourself and just get it out there, be willing to "walk naked in the crowd" so to speak, much like Michael Angelo's paintings represent through nudity.  Nothing can be hidden when you are willing to bare your soul.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

    I'm sure that the woman that E-mailed you will agree that these are realistic answers to her questions. Thank you for sharing them here.
     I think that this addresses in a way, why so many of us spend so much time and energy writing and posting our photo's and art here in J-Land. There is no compensation other than the joy of creating and sharing. I am still amazed by those that manage a consistent, informative or entertaining post here on a daily basis, hoping for nothing more than to generate a few honest responses in the comment threads.
    Have I mentioned that I love this place?  

                               *** Coy ***

Anonymous said...

I came here by way of Sistercdr who did a review on a book you recently wrote.  I have to admit she's got me interested in reading the book.  As for myself I have no notions of becoming a writer, that's never been one of my skills.  Give me a camera and let me dream with that.  

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/photographybymon/Mamarazzi/
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

Anonymous said...

    Of course I want to sell my work and make a million bucks doing it. More than anything, it is picking up that pen or placing my hands on my keyboard, and making words that make sense. I can expose myself to the world with my writing, and be so self conscious about what the reader thinks of me, or my words, or even if someone has bothered to pick up my work at all. More than anything, writing is sanity. There are some very tough times in my life that I made it through because I could divert my feelings onto paper.  If I never sell anything, at least I know I've tried.
    By the way, this is a wonderful outlet. I've enjoyed reading as much as writing. Sometimes those books about the technical aspects of writing are intimidating. This is a very natural and easy outlet. I'm truly enjoying your entries.
Jude

Anonymous said...

Now, see...you`ve gotten me feelin` inadequate. This is powerful, personal stuff.
The idea of the personal demon is a metaphor I`ve used countless times in pschotherpy. Aww, Theresa!
V

Anonymous said...

"The creative impulse came out of a need to share something beautiful.  I believe if we follow this as a goal, we can't go wrong." Theresa Williams

An eloquent truth beautifully, beautifully expressed.

Pearl Buck stated,

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive.

To him...

a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
and failure is death.

Add to this delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create; so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating."

The two quotes together make complete an understanding into the nature of creativity. I am delighted! to discover your journal.

Dalene of AHH at http://journals.aol.com/ahhliving/AHH