Monday, April 11, 2005

The Dark Side of Creativity

I've known about the dark side of creativity for a long while. But last night I ran across a chapter in a book I've been reading the last couple of days that addresses the topic in a way I hadn't thought about before.  The book is Dark Nights of the Soul by Thomas Moore.  I googled Mr. Moore and found his website and contact information, and I sent him a brief e-mail message of thanks for his excellent, soulful book.  The author was kind enough to send a brief message in reply.  (You'd be suprised how much authors enjoy hearing from readers, especially if, in a brief, cogent, and heartfelt way, you're specific about how the book influences you).

In the book, Moore points out several pitfalls about the creative life.  He writes that it has been said that artists are born "under Saturn" (Saturn was the patron of melancholy and artistic inspiration), meaning that their creativity comes out of their suffering.  The creative act, unlike what most people believe, is not all positive.  It's frustrating and not only that, in creating one thing you are inevitably destroying another.  

I have experienced this creation/destruction.  For instance, I have written a story and gained new insights, which ultimately destroyed something I previously believed about the world and myself.  This destruction is sometimes sad. 

In other words, not only does art sometimes come from a painful place, what you discover through your art can be painful. 

Moore points out that Capricorn is the image for Saturn.  Moore says that the goat on the mountain peak represents both the positive and negative impact of creativity on the artist: 

"The ascent and sure-footing are inspiring, but the ravine is steep, deep, and always at hand.  A creative person has to be like a Capricorn goat, able to climb high and yet nimble enough to deal with a slide and a fall."

I couldn't help but smile, reading that, since my last entry was about my childhood toy, Oddie the mountain goat.

I don't know that much about Astrology.  I enjoy reading about it from time to time because so many wonderful mythological stories are associated with it, and also the Constellations are based on myths.  My mother was Capricorn and our youngest son is also, so I knew something about the personality traits of the Goat, but not much more than that. 

So I googled "Capricorn Goat" and found the image of the Goat-Fish, which is one of the most intriguing things I've seen in a while.  Before yesterday, I wasn't even aware that the sign of Capricorn was the Goat-Fish

The Greek story behind the Goat-Fish is that Pan (a horned god, hence "goat") was involved with other gods in the quest to destroy the monster Typhon.  During one of the battles, Pan changed the bottom part of his body into a fish to escape Typhon. 

To honor Pan, Zeus placed the Goat-Fish in the heavens.

This story makes me think of another truth about the creative life.  The Goat-Fish represents two different aspects of the creative process.  The goat represents the head work needed to create, your logical intelligence, your ego (you must believe in yourself to some extent), your ability to organize and promote your work.  The fish represents the imagination, the descent into the abyss of the unconscious. 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Ohio River Journey III

Allen and I went shopping at Cabela's yesterday.  If you don't know, Cabela's is a massive outdoor outfitters store.  He bought some things he needed for the boat, like two seats (for a long journey like this we decided we needed the back support).  He also bought some fittings he plans to use to create some good shade for us, and an antenna for the marine radio that was purchased a couple of weeks ago.  I bought some fleece socks, two tan pair of pants made of light material thatshould dry quickly.  The pants convert to shorts.  I also got two tops that are made a lot like swim tops.  But they are made out of that material that wicks perspiration away from the body, and they dry quickly.   I need clothes that dry quickly because I do sweat a lot (Remember that old commercial:  "I don't perspire, I sweat! " That's me--I sweat).  Also, I'll be handwashing my clothes, and since I don't plan on taking that many clothes (it's a small boat), quick-drying is really a must.  (We don't belong to boating clubs and won't access expensive marinas along the way.  For the most part, we plan to avoid restaurants and laundromats.) 

The clothes were expensive, but then everything seems expensive to us.

In case you're wondering, we aren't people of any great means.  I'm a lecturer at the local university; Allen works part-time delivering medical supplies for cancer patients.  Our mortgage is more than 1/3 of what we bring home.  We have a son in college, and, although he doesn't have to pay tuition (since he attends the university where I teach), we still pay his general fees, give him money for food and supplies and buy his books.  It all adds up. 

Our boat, Blue Girl, was bought last year for $800 with money I took out of a retirement fund.  It is a 22-ft. MacGreggor sailboat, built in 1977.  It was already a solid boat when Allen bought it; it just needed a good cleaning, as it had been sitting in the weather under trees for several years.  We spent nothing on her last year, and took her out in Lake Erie and on the Maumee and Ottawa Rivers several times, spending the night aboard her a few times.   We haven't sailed her, but putt-putt around with the 9 h.p. motor, which is very economical.  It's slow-going, but that's what we like. 

So we are putting at least as much as she originally cost us into making her ship-shape and into other equipment needed to chronicle the trip.  In order to make this trip, we do without other things:  the trip is on top of our priorities for this summer. 

We've already let too  many summers go by without doing something similar to this.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I loved this entry.  How is it that artists are moved to create, when "not only does art sometimes come from a painful place, what you discover through your art can be painful" but also, in the process of creation something else is destroyed? What a powerful statement about the force and joy that creativity must be, that it moves us to forge ahead, like a plant coming through the cement sidewalk.

--B.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that Moore's book is really wonderful, and it's been on my list for some time.  There is a cost to creativity, and I loved how you showed how you also destroy somethings in the process.  It reminded of a scene from one of the Diana Gabaldon books, where a character is describing what it's like to be pregnant and have a baby.  She said something to the effect that when you have your baby, you love it, but you've lost the baby you've imagined as well.  That was always so powerful to me.  Your trip planning sounds great.  With a journey like you're doing, that planning is essential.  Like you, everything feels expensive to me, but sometimes you have to indulge yourself.  The occasional splurge feeds the spirit.

Anonymous said...

Theresa,

So many interesting points about the dark side of creativity. Reminds me of the Hindu God Shiva. Often labeled as the destroyer she creates through destrucition.  It's an aspect of destruction/creation that most people don't think about.

I think I'm looking forward to your trip just as much as you are. It sounds so exciting. Can I come?  Boy, I can't wait to hear all about it.

dave

Anonymous said...

"The goat represents the head ... your ability to organize and promote your work.  The fish represents the imagination, the descent into the abyss of the unconscious."

Well THAT explains a lot. I'm all fish. LOL Pisces.

Anonymous said...

And I'm Aquarius, the Water-Bearer, so I LIVE in the world of the unconscious--the "head stuff" is very hard for me.  --Theresa

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry, Theresa - and how nice to hear back from the author!  I know little about astrology, only that as a Libra I like things to be balanced and I don't like rocking the boat (geddit?  the connection with your trip?!!)  I wonder if the artistic side of Libra is the type of art that is easily come by, and if I find the deeper, more spiritual and darker side just a little too scary sometimes?

This makes me think about my decision not to journal for a bit.  I expect to be back soon, but it will be hard, and as I write, I find out things about myself that I try to hide from myself sometimes, good and bad.  It's all part of creativity, isn't it?    

Your trip is really coming together - I am SO excited for you!  I know that this will have its difficult moments and that this is costing you a lot of money, but oh, isn't it all worth it?  The two of you, heading out on an adventure...

Vicky

Anonymous said...

    I remember reading way back when, that children learn to daydream to escape reality when reality isn't what it should be. I am creative, and a lot of that creativity comes from times I sit and daydream. I had kind of a rough childhood. I used to daydream a lot.
    Good luck on your trip. Outfitting yourselves might prove to be the most expensive part of your excursion. I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay/

Anonymous said...

I have written a story and gained new insights, which ultimately destroyed something I previously believed about the world and myself.


Ah ha....this is the reason why I somethimes avoid writting about things, the words may destroy something I treasure and honor.  (I just knew you would understand that.)


**************************************************

I hope that we will be blessed with your tales when you return....I've never salied like that before and am excited about the opprotunity to go on the voyage in your journal.  Yes, I remember that you won't be on line until you get back but I am excited still.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing more about your trip. I am the bull.
To me the very act of creating involves destroying, pencil on paper destroys the pureness of it, in turn it creates something. Like conception.... eggs meets sperm... sperm penetrates egg....egg is no longer an egg.

Anonymous said...

I understand about hearing from readers. I had written a book and have been selling it on my own instead of through a publisher for personal reasons. I was at a point last year where I was debating (as I do from time to time) whether to turn it over to a publisher or try to promote the book a little more aggressively. I hadn't done much with it because of work at the time. Anyway, wouldn't you know it a few weeks later a letter comes in the mail that I almost threw away thinking it was junk mail when I stopped myself and set it aside. When I did read it, it was from a 15 year old autistic boy that tookthe time to write me to tell me he was home schooled and he just wrote a book report on my book! Needless to say I knew my answer then. By the way, I am a Libra (sun sign)  with Scorpio as my moon sign and Capricorn my rising sign!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry on destruction/creation. Reminds me of the Hindu creation myth. The breath of the Brahmin. When the Brahmin breathes out the universe is created, when he breathes in it is destroyed. (It is reminiscent of the Big Bang theory the great scientists think they've discovered) The Universal process of Creativity involves both. One cannot be without the other.

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I so enjoy your musings on creativity and myth. I find myself reorienting, taking in... Unusual for an old poet.
{{{Hugs }}}
V