Friday, May 6, 2005

Power of Story--Questions from Vince

These questions are from Vince at the journal, To Grow Is To Be Anxious.

FIRST: The rules because every game has got to have them, you know. Leave me a comment saying "interview me." The first five to leave a comment requesting to be participants will be interviewed. I will respond by asking you five questions via e-mail.  You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions and a link to my site.   You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions. (Write your own questions or borrow some)  

1. Jos. Campbell seems to be a guiding light in your present thinking. Do you find him reflected in your personal life?  

Like so many, I discovered Joseph Campbell on PBS by watching his interviews will Bill Moyers.  Campbell at that time was a retired professor from Sarah Lawrence.  Listening to Campbell, I felt my thoughts about storytelling congealing into a philosophy.  Why do I write?  For many years, I couldn't answer that question and feel my answer was truthful.  My writing life is my personal life.  My writing life is my life.  Moreover, Campbell helped show me how to look at the world every day, whether I'm teaching, writing, grocery shopping, taking a walk, whatever.  His explanation about life, that life is a series of transformations and passing through inner thresholds of experience, made more sense to me than any I had ever heard.  I now own the DVD, The Power of Myth, thanks to our youngest son, who gave it to me one year for mother's day.  Many libraries have the Joseph Campbell conversations with Bill Moyers on videotape or DVD, and I highly recommend them.  

2.In which environment are you most comfortable-- teaching or writing?  

Writing.  

3.Has the journalling experience helped to congeal your thoughts vis-a-vis writing? Does teaching continue to contribute to this?  

Yes, the journaling helps a great deal.  The way I piece together life is associative, rather than linear.  This journal helps me to "see" what I'm thinking, what I've been studying, what I've been experiencing, and it offers me a way to piece it all together.  I don't have to worry about any of the things we normally concern ourselves about in academic writing--focus, organization, development, control.  I can forget all that and let the answers slowly bubble and rise to the surface.  I'm in no hurry.  Teaching can do the same thing, especially creative writing classes.  I really feed off the energy produced by those, although classroom dynamics can also get in the way.  You do have to be much more organized in your approach to the classroom--the students deserve that.  And then there is always the chance of a clash of personalities.  Finally, there's the problem of having to give grades at the end of the semester, a task I don't find enjoyable.  

4. Who is the Author who first excited you?; who caused you to take those first steps?  

As a very young adolescent, I discovered the short stories of Guy de Maupassant.  They were so frightening to me, so close to the bare bone of truth, I thought at the time, that I hid his collection under my bed for fear I would be "found out" reading them.  The story I remember best is "Mother of Monsters."  It was about a poor woman who bound her abdomen with corsets during her pregnancies so as to create "monsters," which she then sold to side shows.  It was how she made her living.  As you can see, I never forgot the story--who could?  The gruesome nature of the story reinforces the metaphorical implication.  The story forces us to ask ourselves to what extent we endanger ourselves and our children for the sake of money.  How do we "contort" our children psychologically so that they (and we) will "succeed" or "fit in,"  and thus become financially successful. I'm sure I didn't understand all the implications of the story when I was young; but the story has grown in my mind all these years, and it has served as a warning.   

However, it was probably J. D. Salinger that made me want to write stories.  I was fascinated by the precocious children in his stories.  

5. When you read fiction that you`ve finished, do you smile at those parts of your experience that have been unconsciously reflected in your writing?  

Definitely.  I am constantly amazed at what surfaces in my writing.  My stories give me so much insight into how different facets of life connect--reading, experience, hopes, education, mythology, psychology, dreams.  

Thanks so much, Vince, for these wonderful questions.

P.S.  Just one week left to post to Theresa's Book of Questions.  Click HERE to post questions.  All questions will go with me down the Ohio River!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I enjoyed your comments about Campbell, about your early reading and coming to understanding, and teaching.  I could especially relate to what you said about writing is your life:  recently I wrote in my personal jounal that my writing is my humanity.  Although what I write somethimes seems monsterous, it keeps me from being a monster.  And, "answers bubbling to surface" - how I love that! --Beth

Anonymous said...

Hello. Thanks again for popping over to my journal, AND for including me in your sidebar of favorites.

Recently my love and I were cleaning off shelves and discovered that we had three copies of THE POWER OF MYTH. What a powerful book, and the interviews are fantastic. A few years ago we took our then adolescent daughter to see a touring exhibit of Star Wars and its impact as a cultural and mythic icon. There were lots of references to Campbell in some of the exhibits. THAT intrigued our daughter and piqued her interest in the works of Joseph Campbell. Thanks for this reminder of the motivating, intertwining factor of story in the lives of humans. Your example of Guy de Maupassant was right on.

Would ask to be interviewed but could not do the process justice right now with finals, grading, and my dissertation proposal next Tuesday. YIKES!

Best wishes on your upcoming journey.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, how I devoured Salinger when I was a young teen!  He had just the right measure of cynicism and understanding of the young mind.

And thanks for the repeated references to Campbell, Theresa.  One day, sooner rather than later, I shall read the book or find the DVD.

One week to go - WOW!!!

Love, Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Theresa,
    I will have to look for Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth. I have never read it. Truthfully, most of my reading when younger had to do with biography and history. I'm now catching up on a life time of fiction and other genre, and loving it. One thing you said strikes home for me. That's when you've finished something and you go back to it and read, you surprise yourself that it came from you. Isn't imagination wonderful? Thanks for the encouragement early on. I'm finding that lately I can't wait to get on line and type. Now I need to put together a story and start working on that.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Theresa,
Your replies are so beautifully thought out and written. Thank you for giving so much of yourself. You have a philosopher`s mind!
{{{ Hugs }}}
V

Anonymous said...

I had the great fortune to eat dinner with Joseph Campbell as a young woman.  I did not know how famous or influential he was to the whole world==of course, maybe in the late seventies he wasn't quite as famous--but he was a charming and gentle soul, full of funny stories.  

Later, of course, I was very happy that I had met him. We just finished the Hero with A thousand Faces.

Anonymous said...

Theresa,
I think Guy de Maupassant must have been my earliest influence as a writer.  I remember reading The Diamond Necklace when I was in Freshman English, so many years ago, and was so taken by the florid style, I wrote any number of stories delighting in the use of words as desriptors and modifiers, much as I imagined de Maupassant would have.  My teacher finally wrote a comment on one of my submissions, effectively saying "Enough!", and I took off on another tack.  I devoured his stories, partly because they were so easily absorbed, but mostly because I could "see" his protagonists and the milieu in which they struggled and eked out thir existence.  Due to my circumstances of changing schools, I had to endure another teacher who quite literally sniffed "de Maupassant!", as if he were a lightweight, unworthy of appreciation.  I didn't let it slow me down, and still today utilize a style that encompasses that early influence.   Bruce