Wednesday, October 13, 2004

You Dream It As You Tell It

Photo of Tim O'Brien from the Jacket of his first book, If I Die In A Combat Zone


On October 20, I will hear Tim O'Brien speak at our university.  This semester, the incoming freshmen are participating in the Common Reading Experience (CRE) by reading O'Brien's novel, The Things They Carried.  With America again again at war, his novel has a relevancy not missed by the young people in my classes.

 

Tim O'Brien as a young soldier in Vietnam

While rereading The Things They Carried, I've been stuck most of all by what O'Brien says about storytelling as an act of survival. 

For instance, at the end of the chapter, "Spin," O'Brien writes:  "Stories are for joining the past to the future.  Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are.  Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story." 

Stories not only join the past and future, O'Brien tells us, but they can also represent an opportunity to make right.  In his chapter, "On The Rainy River," he (through his narrator) reveals that the function of the story is to thank a man named Elroy Berdahl:  "this story represents a small gesture of gratitude twenty years overdue."  It is as though this gesture of gratitude is necessary to the survival of O'Brien's narrator, and by extension, O'Brien's own survival.

I believe the most powerful evocation of the purpose of stories, of their ability to help the teller "survive" occurs in the final pages of the novel when O'Brien writes, "The thing about a story is that you dream it as you tell it, hoping that others might then dream along with you, and in this way memory and imagination and language combineto make spirits in the head.  There is the illusion of aliveness." 

O'Brien tells us here that within our stories, the dead can live again through us--we can restore something of the past for ourselves and we can create a vision of the past for our readers.  Yet the primary function for O'Brien of his storytelling seems to be his narrator's (and his own) survival, for he writes:  "I'm forty-three years old, and a writer now, still dreaming [about the past]."  In these dreams, which become his stories, O'Brien recognizes that he'll "never die." 

Of particular note is the fact that the character, Norman Bowker, commits suicide after he returns home from Vietnam.  O'Brien suggests this act is partly due to his inability to tell his own story of what happened to him in the war.  In a letter, Bowker begs Tim to write Bowker's story:  "I'd write it myself except I can't ever find any words, if you know what I mean, and I can't figure out what exactly to say. ... You were there--you can tell it." 

O'Brien then reflects:  "I did not look on my work as therapy, and still don't.  Yet when I received Norman Bowker's letter, it occurred to me that the act of writing had led me through a swirl of memories that might otherwise have ended in paralysis or worse.  By telling stories, you objectify your own experience.  You separate it from yourself.  You pin down certain truths.  You make up others.  You start sometimes with an incident that truly happened, ... and you carry it forward by inventing incidents that did not in fact occur but that nonetheless help to clarify and explain."

Tobias Wolff once wrote in his magnificent memoir, This Boy's Life, that the man can give no help to the boy.  Yet, using skating as a metaphor, O'Brien explains how telling his story now can give help to the child (Timmy) he once was and to the man (Tim) he will be in the future. 

He writes, "I'm skimming across the surface of my own history, moving fast, riding the melt beneath the blades, doing loops and spins, and when I take a high leap into the dark and come down thirty years later, I realize it is as Tim trying to save Timmy's life with a story." 

James W. Loewen writes in his book, Lies My Teacher Told Me, that the purpose of the study of history is not simply to discover "what happened," but to restore to the past all its overlooked possibilities. 

Storytelling, as O'Brien shows us, can do the same thing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that, depending on who we are, there are many different roads to personal salvation, and for those fortunate few, writing is a very powerful avenue.  Powerful I say because the experience can be shared by others and can provide comfort and a possibility of salvation to the reader.  Thank you for sharing this with us through YOUR writing, Theresa.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making Editors top 5 this week! You have a great journal. Well done!
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

This really hits home with me.  I was so glad to see your journal in the Editor's Picks this week.  I love to see a journal that's truly well written, thought provoking and intelligent get recognition.

Anonymous said...

Editor`s Pick!   And so deserving!
Yeaaaaaaaaa!!!!
V

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations, Theresa!  I'm delighted that so many more people will see what you have to share with the world as a result of this recognition - at least i hope they will.  Your journal is so thought-provoking and inspiring.  It leads us as readers to examine not only our minds but our entire worlds.   Thanks for that special gift.

Keep on truckin'!!

Anonymous said...

I have another journal that is just people taking turns writing a chapter in a j land story book. If you want to join us in taking a turn we are starting a new story right now and I would love to have more writers. Email me { My78NovaTa@aol.com } and I ll send you the link. Congradulations on being one of the top 5. You're journal is great!!!!!!! We homeschool & I have two girls one 23 who graduated from Homeschooling & is teaching at a private school & one 16 who has her permit now and takes care of two special needs children several time a week. Both care for the elderly, love kids & animals & take Karate & Piano. We also love to go camping. We love animals and always take our tw big dogs camping. We love working on old cars also or just fixing our up. You can also check out our kodak pictures page first link in our OTHER JOURNALS LINKS. Cars, animals and our way of living are all there. We love getting posts in my journal & see how our daily life goes on I 'd love to hear from you.  LORI  

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa,

Thank you for your comments on my journal.  I will certainly enjoy reading yours.

John

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making Editors Pick of Top five. Great journal. Will be visiting again. *Barb* http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

How exciting!  I am skipping my own class next Monday night to hear Tim O'Brien speak at my dauhgter's school, where he is spending the day.  I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making top 5! I know that you will now be reaching more people with your wonderful, thought provoking writing!

Anonymous said...

If I may... Writing down one's stories also help validate the images our memories create in our heads of our experiences.  If we are blessed or fortunate someone will "read" a different meaning-- if not conclusion-- to the visual representation we try to create with the word... just some food for thought  -- Vinnie

Anonymous said...

i know mr. o'brien...he teaches at my university, Texas State, and we are lucky to have someone as talented as him in our english dept. his works effects me and many others on a very deep level.  i am always happy to know that people are reading his work.

Anonymous said...

If you want to visit about his visit here yesterday, see:
http://journals.aol.com/oceanmrc/MidlifeMatters/

I hope you don't mind if I link to whatever you have to say after he's been to BGSU.