Monday, October 11, 2004

Cost What It May

HELDER CAMARA

When Your Ship

When your ship, long moored in harbor
gives you the illusion of being a house,
put out to sea.

Save your boat’s journeying soul,
and your own pilgrim soul,
cost what it may.

There have only been a few times in my life when I have felt fearless, ready to "put out to sea" no matter the cost. 

Yet this is indeed the journey we must make, each time we set out to make art.

If I weren't such a coward, if I hadn't spent so much time sitting in my long-moored boat, how much further along would I be now?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That question smarts a little, because cowardice is definitely a partner of lack of productivity for me.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful imagery - and thanks for the kick in the pants!