Monday, October 11, 2004

Falcon, Storm, or Great Song?

RAINER MARIA RILKE

I live my life

I live my life in growing orbits
which move out over the things of the world.
Perhaps I can never achieve the last,
but that will be my attempt.

I am circling around God, around the ancient tower,
and I have been circling for a thousand years,
and I still don’t know if I am a falcon, or a storm,
or a great song.

One of the ideas I frequently talk about in my creative writing classes is the necessity of being in tune with our "center."  I often find that beginning writers focus so much on being "original" that they reject outright the idea of being connected to any source other than their own "creativity."  Often these beginning writers seem to believe this "creativity" is housed only in the brain.

But I believe our "center" and our "creativity" is connected to something divine and when we access this divinity, we are in turn being connected to poets and storytellers of old. 

As a writer, I'm searching, just as Rilke searched, to know if I'm "a falcon, or a storm, or a great song."  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creativity to me feels like a river that flows through me.  I get to stand in the river, but I'm still separate from it.

Anonymous said...

Why not be the graceful falcon, riding the storm, singing your mighty song?

Anonymous said...

Love the Scottish tower, Theresa!  How true that creativity is so intimately connected with divinity.  For surely that is when we are at our most spiritual, when we are creating?