Monday, September 6, 2004

Rising and Falling

Labor Day (today) is thought by many to be the "official" end of summer, so this is a good time to reflect on repetition and renewal (death and renewal) as it is represented in the seasons.  And how it is represented in our writing.

As Marguerite Yourcenar points out, the summer solstice is the beginning of the end-- "this apogee signals the beginning of a descent; from now on the days will get shorter and shorter until they reach the nadir of the winter solstice; the astronomical winter begins in June, just as the astronomical summer begins in December." 

The Labor Day Holiday serves to reminds us of this.  

"Verweile doch, du bist so schon."

"Stay with me, you are so beautiful."

As Yourcenar points out, Faust could have said this of the June solstice:   "But he would have said it in vain."

When we write, this same waxing and waning takes place.  We grow close to our subject, it flames.  Then the ideas grow dark and cold.  Remember not to give up when you are in the winter of your thoughts; Our winter prepares us for the summer ahead:  "We are caught in this rising and falling double helix." The burst of creative energy (summer thoughts) can't be sustained.  We need a dark, fallow period in order to regenerate.  When I reach a dark period, I regenerate by reading, doing artwork, watching a film, anything to get close to the spark that will ignite my thoughts again.

Quotes from "Fires of the Solstice" by Marguerite Yourcenar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it very interesting that you compared it to a helix.  I find this true not just of writing but of practically all mental and emotional endeavors, particularly those of a spiritual nature.  Then again, I find my spirituality and my creativity to be very closely linked.  I received the magazines and haven't had time to enjoy them yet, but I am really looking forward to my time with them.  Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

I have long noticed the circularity of my life, the fallow and ripe times, the joy and pain.  I think that without that balance my life would not be anywhere as rich.