Saturday, September 18, 2004

The Broken Cord

In an interview with Bill Moyers, Joseph Campbell talked about myths in which humans came from the womb of the Earth.  Campbell said,

Often, in these stories, there is a great ladder or rope up which people climb.  The last people to want to get out are two great big fat heavy people.  They grab the rope, and snap!--it breaks.  So we are separated from our source.  In a sense, because of our minds we actually are separated, and the problem is to reunite that broken cord.

When I write, that's what I'm trying to do, reunite some broken cord, I think. 

Quote from The Power of Myth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a wonderfully moving book called The Broken Cord about adopting a child with fetal alcohol syndrome...in this case the broken cord was the umbilicus....still, it is a very potent image..

Anonymous said...

Very powerful image.

Anonymous said...

"I think when I write, that's what I'm trying to do, reunite some broken cord."
The first thing I thought of when I read the first part of your sentence was "I should hope you think."
Are all the cords broken or are you first in line sometimes?

Anonymous said...

You are right about the "I think," Celeste--I moved it around.  :)

Anonymous said...

I. too, thought of the book, "The Broken Cord," when I read this.  Full-blown Fetal Alcohol Syndrome has devastating effects, not the least of which can be an inability to connect with other human beings.  The urge to connect with others, and with oneself, is very strong in nearly all of us.  Writing always helps me get things out of my head, on the way to understanding and then restoring or making some connection either in my mind or with some other individual.  Or indeed with the world in general.  When I counsel students, I frequently suggest they write down their feelings so they can try to make some sense of them.  This way they can "connect the dots."

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Theresa!
V

Anonymous said...

I like the thought and idea of reuniting more with God - perfection, more than a broken cord.  Just thoughts ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks  I have just been incredibly busy and I have had some computer issues but I will be back.  ASAP...  Thanks again  Bless You Always!  Maria