Saturday, September 25, 2004

April Fool

This is a drawing I did in a sketchbook on 1 April 1981.  At the time I was an undergraduate, in my mid-twenties, and had not yet discovered writing as my ultimate source of expression.  I was double-majoring in Art and English.

The drawing, a self-portrait, is called "April Fool."  I felt like a fool and made myself look like one because I had no idea where I was going.  I was married with two children, and I was coming to an awareness that I would never be the artist I had hoped to be.  I just wasn't good enough.  I loved my literature classes, but what could I do with that to make a living?

The hands definitely express the idea that I was feeling trapped, pressed down by expectations (real and some possibly imagined). 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a powerful image, Theresa.  The hands are as big as (or bigger than) you are.  It surely expresses something deep.  Thank you for sharing this intimate portarait.

Anonymous said...

I look at the crossed hands and see worth being blocked.  I wish it were a simple matter of confidence because in all that there are simple cures ... #1 being "nice" to oneself.