Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Family

This is a photograph I keep on the wall of my writing studio.  It is, I believe, the only photograph in existence of the entire family I grew up with.  Grandmother, Father, Mother, and two Brothers.  I'm the baby in the photograph.

It comes as a shock to me each time to realize that only two of the people in the photograph are still alive.  

I keep this photograph in plain sight because it causes me to reflect on life and loss, which is usually my favorite thing to think about while writing, because I think loss is what describes life best. 

I look at the people in the picture who seem to be having fun on a sunny day.  I wonder what each person was thinking about.  I wonder what their dreams were.  I wonder what kept them working, striving, and getting up again when they failed. 

I'll never know the answers, but the questions are good ones.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have that picture. I wish that I had a picture of my family.

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother looks like a lady I would like to have known.

Anonymous said...

What memories are stirred up by those old black and white photos!  It's like another world, isn't it?  It would be interesting to try to create the atmosphere of those days.  I wonder how it could be done?  Would we have to use the language style that was current then, or would it be more effective in today's with references that are familiar to us now?

On another note, I agree that it is important to keep a connection withour past and to remind ourselves of it from time to time.  It forms an anchor - or, conversely, can remind us of how far we have come.

Anonymous said...

...I think loss is what describes life best....
yes
V

Anonymous said...

How about: "Loss is what describes what is MISSING from life?"  Or: "Life is what goes on BETWEEN losses?"  Or: "Life is learning to DEAL WITH loss?"  Loss is a void, while life is vital.  

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think ... I understand and have a history in what is lost, but know prefer what is found.