Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Challenge

Engraving by Albrecht Dürer

Challenge:  The quality of requiring full use of one's abilities, energy, or resources.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My, but I was extremely moved by the response the last entry got:  thank you, everyone, for making the effort to click on over here and leave a comment.  Now that I have your attention... (smile)

I thought I would issue a challenge to you bloggers out there, a challenge to look through your archives and mark a moment of change.  What I'm asking you to do is to  identify an entry that illustrates a turning point for you and your journal.  Identify an entry that suddenly set your journal off on a new direction, one never dreamed of before.

My own journal is just a little over a year old.  If you go back to my earliest entries you'll see they are rather sparse little things.  In the beginning, the journal was a way to capture fugitive thoughts, nothing more. 

As I grew in confidence, my journal began to change.  I think it became richer.  As I look through the entries, I can see myself taking on more complex topics.  I also see my attempts at humor.  I have a problem, sometimes, with taking myself and my efforts "too seriously."  I began to learn to relax a bit, to have fun, even as I continued my unending struggle to understand what the imagination is and where creativity comes from.

But the biggest change in my journal came about as a result of the feedback I got from readers.  I look back at my earliest entries and see that most of the time I had no readers at all.  Then there were one or two people who took the plunge and left comments.  It was all so new to me that, in my way, I mixed up names and journals in my head.  It all was so abstract for a long while.

Gradually, friendships began to form.  More and more people expressed an interest in writing and creativity as a topic.  In the early entries, I mainly wrote about abstract ideas and themes.  Reading them, a person would have no idea who in the world I was or why I was even talking about writing in the first place!  In other words, having readers and getting to know those readers made my writing more human.

Then, I began to share more of my personal struggles.  Readers began to share theirs.  And then--presto--my journal had transformed into an organic, living thing.  I found I was spending a lot of time thinking about new directions to take my journal. 

The only thing I was sure of, the thing I knew would not change, was that I wanted to continue to focus on writing, on being an author and what it means.

There are many entries that I consider pivotal ones.  Sometimes the transformation came through my own struggle to understand the topic I'd chosen to write about.  Other times the transformation happened because of something a reader said in his or her comment.

The entry I've chosen as the most pivotal, though, is Mutualaide's Interview Questions.   As some of you recall, last Spring, we were interviewing each other, a process I truly loved because it gave us a chance to get to know one another. 

Here is part of the Mutualaide entry: 

Question # 3.  Having the opportunity to gather with 5 of your 'regular readers' who are they, where do you meet and what do you talk about?  

Okay.  The five regular readers are Vicky, Cynthia, Maisie (Marigolds), Judi, and Beth.  Sorry fellows, this is girls' night out.  First, we loosen things up a bit by going to a Tom Jones concert.  (You fellows didn't want to see Tom Jones anyway, did you?  Tell the truth!)   

At the concert, we laugh until we ache.  We stand on our feet and clap our hands.  We really can't believe Tom Jones can still move like that.  He is, after all, what, in his sixties?  We really do laugh uncontrollably because we feel like teenagers, only a lot smarter (we hope).  We scream a few times and sing along with the music. 

I can't help it, I buy myself a Tom Jones T-shirt, so everytime I wear it I can think about this energy.  

 And then we all go out to a nice restaurant and bar with live Blues music.  I have a beer, probably a Killians.  Beth has a light beer (that is what she usually orders when we go out).  Vicky has a glass of good wine.  I'm not sure about Judi, Maisie and Cynthia ("What's your poison?").  They might be teetotalers, but that's all right, we've all got a natural high going on. 

We say things like, "Can you believe that Tom Jones?"   

And "I can't believe it--we actually went to see Tom Jones."   

And "You aren't going to tell anybody else we actually went to see Tom Jones, are you?"  

 We will all swear an oath never to tell.  

I will say, "My friend Paula went to one of these concerts in Toledo.  That's what gave me the idea."  

Maisie will say, " _________________________."  (Maisie, fill in the blank in your comments)  

I will say, "Maisie, I used to fantasize about Tom Jones when I was 13 years old.  Did you, Vicky?"  

Vicky will say, "______________________." (Vicky, fill in the blank)  

Judi will say, "________________________."  (Judi, fill in the blank).  

Cynthia will say, "___________________________."  (Cynthia, fill in the blank.)  

Beth will say, "________________________."  (Beth, fill in the blank).  

We will then all go for an evening walk next to a river.  We will fold our arms against the cool breeze.  We will  sigh and ask where did all the years go.  It seems like yesterday Tom Jones and all of us were just young 'uns.   Then we will talk about the meaning of life and art. 

This story is to be continued.  But whenever I wear my Tom Jones T-shirt and somebody says, "You didn't really go to see Tom Jones, did you?"  I will say, "What?  Moi?  Are you kidding? No, I got this at Goodwill."  

My reason for saying this entry was pivotal is that it brought together everything I'd been working toward in my journal.

1.  Writing that Tom Jones story was FUN.  So I wasn't taking myself so seriously anymore.  I hadn't had that much FUN writing since I was a little girl making newsletters for myself and my friends.

2.  I wasn't only talking about creativity, I was attempting to be creative myself.

3.  It was interactive:  my new friends, the good sports they are, joined right in. Read the responses for yourself!  They are hilarious!  I was very touched by response and hadn't expected it at all.

4.  The whole experience gave me an incredible sense of well-being.  It lightened my heart, which allowed me to think of ways to carry my own creativity further. 

So, would any of you like to take on my challenge?  If so, go through your archives and choose one entry you think was pivotal.  In the comment section to this entry, leave a link to that entry.  In your comment, explain why the entry was pivotal. 

I look forward to reading your responses!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was hard.  Partly because livejournal appears not to have retained my journal entries before March of this year - but I guess that was plenty - and partly because there doesn't seem to be one "pivotal" entry.  I found the one on Luigi (http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/22864.html) which I nearly selected, but ultimately settled on this one:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/26616.html

It tells of my feelings and beliefs about my writing, which, after all, is why I started the journal in the first place (that and Theresa's boot up my behind).  

An interesting challenge. Ms. T.  Thank you!

Love, Vicky

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

OK let's try the Luigi one again:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/22864.html

I think I'm cheating, actually, by nominating two, I guess.  Is that ok?

Vicky

Anonymous said...

That Tom Jones entry was my first introduction to your journal: I posted under "pjl64." When you and Beth come to the pajama party, I will read you my Tom Jones essay--I hope to have it finished by then. No, I will plan to have it finished by then.

I haven't been journaling long enough to feel a turning point, though of course the VCCA diary, starting with Sixteen Days <http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author/entries/581> has shifted my focus completely. The real turning point for me, though, has been starting the journal itself: from the first entry, "Dreams," <http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author/entries/534>
I knew it was a gift. Thanks for turning me on to it, my friend--Beth too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Vicky! Luigi! Luigi!
I'm so glad you cheated and added a second--and Theresa, what a wonderful way for me to catch up on the "turning points" of the other blogs--being new, these are fun and surprising and helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Seems you and I and Vicky are doing a lot of writing tonight--I love it when I know you and I are writing at the same time....

Anonymous said...

I looked in the three months of journal I have.  I'm afraid nothing pivotal has happened yet.   I did want to have something to put here though.  Bummer.  

SINS

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so going to have to do this!  I'll be back later with the results.

Anonymous said...

oh this WILL be fun......I may take a few days to think on this one.


:)


Yeah!  Homework!

Anonymous said...

PS:  it may take days and days because I have had my journal for two plus YEARS........


ouch!

Anonymous said...

    I had to think about this. I went back and began to look. There are a few that I wanted to pick just because I liked them and still do. Thinking about it though, I chose this one because of the picture. Once I posted this picture, I allowed myself to let my darker side emerge, and my love of story telling.
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay/entries/809
    I should point out though, that it was you, Theresa, who visited my journal first. It was a very pleasant surprise. And the beginning of a fruitful addition. (I mean besides writing. Talk about addictive personalities. Writers are addicted to writing. Too hard to put it aside.)
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

this is a tough question Theresa. I LOVED the entry that you highlighted... the playful streak, the camradarie.
This is the entry I picked (there are an awful lot to sort through):

http://journals.aol.com/judithheartsong/newbeginning/entries/885

I picked this particular entry because it was one of the first entries where I really shared where I had come from in my old life, and the story itself was a turning point in that old life.
It was a very sad story..... re-reading it now just brought me back to the place I used to be..... but there was humor and victory in the telling of the story, and a feeling of empowerment.
The other turning point for me in my journal was when I started incorporating large format images of my paintings and photographs and tying them to my entries. These images sometimes tell the story in a more powerful way than my words.
Thank you for the chance to think on this.
I am so glad that I know you.
judi

Anonymous said...

camaraderie

oops... an errant 'a'.

:):):) judi

Anonymous said...

No journal- except in a primitive form- about each day's writing. But- Your earlier challenge- in August- asking for readers to not  "think about it too much" and  "Choose your issue and your voice, and then just let the writing flow" provoked an old intensity- poetry- which has fueled all other writing- going like wildfire- deep in "the struggle"- pushing through the "mud"- toughest challenge yet- Many thanks- also for links- when time to read more- Oh- especially appreciated the Durer. It says it all.
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

This is one I'll have to give some thought about. I think I'm going through my pivotal moment now. My journal has just taken off in the last month, partly because I went for a blog jog, but mostly because I found my focus change from being single, to being a writer with a little single on the side. I think that perhaps it started here: http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible/#Entry433...maybe.

I'm evolving and so is my journal, which is very cool. Very cool indeed.

Thanks for visiting my journal. Hope to see you again soon!

Jess
http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible

Anonymous said...

Hmm hmm hmm.... I'll see what I can find. I know my journal changed recently. Meaning in the past oh, six months. I'll see what I can find. No promises, but I'll try!

~Lily

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember that one!
It`s so nice to get to know more of you.
That`s a tough question to ponder; hmmmm.....
V

Anonymous said...

I remember that Tom Jones girls night out. Good thing I was there to restore order. Judi kept her britches on, but I had to throw my jacket over Cynthia...I think she thought it was Mardi Gras.

Anonymous said...

i do what i do because it's fun.     no other reason ... no major ephinanies .     it ranks right up there with sex and regularity

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/ckays1967/myjourneywithMS/entries/1120



I realized that mine is precious...

thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw this challenge on Cynthia's journal then saw your comment on my journal. Thank you for stopping by. I wanted to put my answer on your journal also because maybe someone might see it here who will not see it on Cynthia's. I believe everyone needs to read this material about the process of grieving because we all will have someone we love to leave us by death some time in our life and this will help when nothing else will so here is my answer

well this is a very insightful entry. I think I started to change the most with this entry which was about going through the process of grief instead of trying to go around it and finding out the only way out of grief of the death of my husband and my baby grandson was going through it and finding out how to and this is that entry which was done Jan 2005 when I first started journaling
http://journals.aol.com/judypearllove/MomentsofJudyPearl/entries/1160

other than this entry I agree with you it's the comments and seeing how much everyone enjoyed my life as I began to enjoy my life again too and I started to want to live instead of wishing I had died with them in the wreck because being left behind was so painful.

and about throwing panties at Tom Jones I was the first to do that at a concert of his about 5 yrs ago. on this night he was singing she's a lady when I walked close to the stage stretched those tiny thongs like a sling shot let go and they landed on his sweaty face and stuck then he peeled them off put them aroung the top of his head and finished the song after that more panties than victoria secret has landed on his stage.lol  come visit again I'm fixing to make a new entry on great news at the ranch

Anonymous said...

Here's my entry:  http://journals.aol.com/sistercdr/Sortingthepieces/entries/1700

Anonymous said...

Theresa, here`s my reply; the first post of my 1st book!
http://journals.aol.com/deabvt/DeablerVT/entries/223
V

Anonymous said...

And Part 2 immediately followed!!
http://journals.aol.com/deabvt/DeablerVT/entries/224
V

Anonymous said...

okay phew, finally got around to this lol

http://journals.aol.com/meforevermore/SmokeMirrors/entries/1184

~Lily