Sunday, October 16, 2005

Walt Whitman and the Civil War

Photos: 

#1  Mock war encampment on the Maumee River at the Applebutter festival in Grand Rapids, Ohio.  October 9. 

#2  Allen (my husband) with our dog, Buddha, at the festival. 

#3  The Maumee.on the day of the festival.  I was surprised at how low the water level was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've only lived in two states, North Carolina and Ohio.  Both states (in part) define themselves by which side they were on in the Civil War.  

Last Sunday, Allen, Buddha (our dog), and I went to the Applebutter Festival in Grand Rapids, Ohio.  Every year, the festival draws thousands, who come for the brats, the hot Apple Cider, the Applebutter, the crafts, and the historic reenactments.  Every year, people dress in Civil War clothes (Union outfits) and display themselves in encampments beside the Maumee River.   It's a step back in time, sort of.

Recently, I've been taking another step back in time.  I've been reading Walt Whitman's Specimen Days.  It is a collection of his stray writings, including writings from his Civil War days, the days he spent comforting wounded and dying soldiers.

I've lived in the South and now I live in the North.   I know the Civil War was about having to choose a side.   It was about being patriotic, about loving your home, your "country."

Yet I once read somewhere that a true writer has no country.  It's always a danger to take quotes out of context, but I believe what was meant by that was that a writer has to be true to a higher calling than governments or politics. 

Walt Whitman was surely such a writer.  Oh, he loved America and rhapsodized about America.  But it was an idealized America.  I believe he thought America should be true to a higher calling, too, a higher  calling than power.

The following lines help to illustrate the higher calling Whitman  answered:

"I staid to-night a long time by the bedside of a new patient, a young Baltimorean, aged about 19 years. ... very feeble, right leg amputated, can't sleep hardly at all--has taken a great deal of morphine, which, as usual, is costing more than it comes to.  Evidently very intelligent and well bred--very affectionate--held on to my hand, lingering, soothing him in his pain, he says to me suddenly, 'I hardly think you know who I am--I don't wish to impose upon you--I am a rebel soldier.'  I said I did not know that, but it made no difference.  Visiting him daily for about two weeks after that, while he lived, (death had mark'd him, and he was quite alone,) I loved him much, always kiss'd him, and he did me."

Whitman's higher calling was to humanity.  I hesitate to say his higher calling was to God, because I don't think Whitman defined himself that way.  I think he was very spiritual, just not religious in the way we've come to think of being religious.  

One day Whitman ministered to a dying soldier who asked Whitman to read to him from the New Testament.  Whitman wrote in Specimen Days:

"The poor, wasted young man ask'd me to read the following chapter... how Christ rose again.  I read very slowly, for Oscar was feeble.  It pleased him very much, yet the tears were in his eyes.  He ask'd me if I enjoy'd religion.  I said, 'Perhaps not, my dear, in the way you mean, and yet, may-be, it is the same thing.'"

I know I would like to be the kind of person and the kind of writer that Walt Whitman was.  Mostly, I'm drawn to his never-ceasing optimism.  Even in the face of ugliness and brutality and death, Whitman never lost his belief in humanity.   He believed all was holy.  He believed we were all connected to one another and to nature and that is what divinity was to him. 

In one of his nature jottings, Whitman said:  "What is happiness, anyhow?  Is this one of its hours, or the like of it?--so impalpable--a mere breath, an evanescent  tinge?  I am not sure--so let me give myself the benefit of the doubt."

How like Whitman to ask, Am I happy?  And, not being sure, to give himself the benefit of the doubt.

That's the way I want to be.

As a writer, I, too, want to be moved by a high calling.  I think this is where anyone who is thinking about being a writer needs to begin, by asking, "What is it to which I want to be true?  What calling?"

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like my calling to be true to myself.  I am not sure I have ever been, now a permanent injury calls all these chickens home to roost.  I will let you know when I get my answer.

Andi
http://journals.aol.com/SheSaidWhat\

Anonymous said...

I can see why you call your dog Buddha...he is ALL EARS...as in "be still and quiet and listen"...yes I believe when you connect with the Higher power that is within... what happens to a writer is summed up in the words found in the Bible..."out of the issues of the heart, the mouth speaks"...or "streams of living water will flow from you"
For myself, when my writing flows, it is from my heart...cMp

Anonymous said...

Interesting meanderings.  Last year we spent a great deal of time in one of my classes on the subject of place, and the important to all of us of physical, geographic places -- as sacred spaces, as places as wells from which writers draw.  Of course that's not the same as nationalism or patriotism.  But then you look at the philosophes or their descendants, such as Thomas Jefferson, and you woinder -- to what extent is the call to humanity and to what extent is it to a place defined by borders?  Great issues to raise.

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to read some Whitman! (It's been some time ...)  He writes so beautifully and, as you mentioned, with such optimism and spirit.  This entry also calls to mind the reading I've been doing lately on synchronicity, meaningful coincidences that help you get to where you're going (or where you need to be).  I like to believe that if you wed yourself to a "calling" and work hard toward it, God or nature or some higher power will help you along, too.

Anonymous said...

"What is it to which I want to be true?  What calling?"

Thought -provoking..worth contemplating.
Thank you!
Gem :-)

http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

wonderful post....... I love the fact that you share your thought process and your goals and dreams. This is a good place to be Dear Theresa. judi

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post, Theresa, so gentle, and so meant for me, whether that was your intention or not.  There's a congruence in this post with where my life is now.  I agree that Whitman was a deeply spiritual person.  I find his quote about enjoying religion so perfect, because, it, indeed, may be the same thing.  In my deepest heart, I feel it is.  About giving the benefit of a doubt about happiness, yesterday, I found myself exactly there.  About the higher calling of writing, I've wondered so much if this desire to write is so deep that it feels like a need is there because I am called to it.  If it is indeed a calling, not writing and not giving myself the time and emotional tools to write is not respecting who calls, which takes me back to the spirituality of it all.  It's like these Celtic knots I'm so drawn to now, one thread going so many different directions but all coming to the same place.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Whitman as well as I would had I gone to school in this country - and more's the pity.  He is admirable, and I plan to read more of his work and about him.  These vignettes he wrote and observations he made are very moving.  As for not being of one country - well, this wanderer sees that and identifies with it well.

You are writing about what is deeply important to me right now.  Finding my calling, and staying true to it.  Congruence in my life is crucial if I am to find peace.  And that is my quest.  For you, your calling is clearly writing and communicating, my dear, but of what calling you are to write, ah, well, that is for you to discover, as it is for all of us in our own work.  I wish you well.  Please write about your search as you go about it.  It may guide us too, although such a journey is essentially a solitary one.

"Am I happy?"  Such a loaded question for us.  How optimistic of Whitman to give himself the benefit of the doubt.  I love that.  

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

    I love the study of history and I have read Whitman. I enjoyed his works. I understand exactly where you are coming from about a higher calling. I feel it and I see it in people about me. I know a man who is a mortician by profession and he is very good at what he does. His work, though, goes beyond that of love of a job, or a caring individual. I see in him the same pangs that you talk about here. Those same pangs that I feel about putting words down on paper. It amazes me that such a thing exists. I can see a holiness or a religious meaning in it besides. The work of the Holy Spirit maybe. But none the less it is a gift that is both beautiful to behold and be part of, yet it is crippling. It is hard to put this drive aside and get on with life. That is what writing is to me. It is all consuming.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Two things....

At first, because of my eyes and the fonts, I thought the second photo was going to be of an A L I E N and your dog.  I was excited and wonder what that had to do with my lovely dead poets....  I also wondered why you had the photo in your journal and not the news, but I digress.

Secondly, is this an assignment?  You know sometimes this blond needs clear cut directions....LOL.  


To be called.  To be true.  This could be an entire life search for me.

Anonymous said...

Crud...I can not find my Leaves of Grass.

I think my mom stole it.

Anonymous said...

A writer's problem does not change. He himself changes and the world he lives in changes, but his problem remains the same. It is always how to write true, to project it in such a way that it becomes part of the experience of the person who reads it.

Ernest Hemingway.

Loved the apple butter, Civil War enactment photo, wonderful shot of husband with dog.

Ah, Whitman yes. As the leaves turn. Poignant excerpt with wounded soldier. I hope you have not missed the obvious. That you have lived in two states. Perhaps literally and figuratively. Two states of consciousness. But grounded in reality. This is evident here. A vibrant place.
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

This speaks to me, Theresa. I love the idea of giving one's self the benefit of the doubt! And I too have lived in the north and the south--they say the south is still fighting that war. I believe, at least, they still lick their wounds. It helps me to think of the higher calling, of having no country, a separate home. I've met here at VCCA people from all over the world: Germany, Romania, Ireland, all parts of the US. What unites us is art. We have bonded well.

I went to Monticello yesterday, toured Jefferson's home. The incongruity of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" from a man who owned 500 slaves was disturbing. Perhaps we should look for such incongruities within ourselves as we attempt to answer the higher calling.

By all means, Theresa, bring Whitman to the pajama party...

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love Christina's comment about Buddha and the Alien...!

Anonymous said...

Excellent and touching entry here!.......Yes, the Truth....intrinsically we all flock to it....its a torch that dispels darkness. Unfortunately, the road to finding what is "True" is lined with pain and suffering, the two elements that challange us to find what is "true".  That young soldier learned the hard way....and Walt Whitman...by confessing to not knowing what true happiness was, left inside of him, just enough pain to spend his days, searching, finding and writing about....what is "true".
Truely.....thank you for bringing this up!   Peace...Marc :)

Anonymous said...

Christina, All of my entries are assignments!  LOL.

Anonymous said...

My Father has an affection for Walt Whitman's writings as well.  I think that may be why I have avoided them.  This entry, however, has intrested me.  Scuse'  I will be making a quick jaunt to the library.  

I don't think I have ever given myself the benefit of the doubt.  

Quick note and completely unrelated:  

My journal has definetly come about since my challenging entry for a pivotal change.   Thank-you for your encouragement.  

SINS  

Anonymous said...

Ah...I need to reread his works. I have always loved his works but perhaps because I read them so long ago I missed so much or perhaps just wasn't in the right frame of mind to appreciate his works as they are meant to be.
Mary

Anonymous said...

I am true to the calling of wisdom, unconventional ways (maybe uniqueness), independence, and motivation, the words with meaning. I am also faithful to nature which is my spirituality. I believe God dances over all of these.

Thank you for sharing such wondrous things about Whitman. Very interesting. :) ~V

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I`ll bet christina`s Mom stole her "Leaves"!!
V

Anonymous said...

your answer my lady

http://journals.aol.com/ckays1967/myjourneywithMS/entries/1128

Anonymous said...

I checked my shelves, and I don't have Christina's book.  But I might have another one that she doesn't realize is missing yet.  Shhhhhhh don't tell her, it will be our little secret.

T

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I hope I posted this right--I've never done an online journal comment before. Anyway, I watched the movie "Crash" tonight, and I had to tell you--I thought of you. The movie was about humanity and how we are all connected; in so many ways, how we are all searching for that connection. The movie is extremely powerful, and intense, and I can't fall asleep just yet, I'm worked up over it! I think you would at least understand where the characters are coming from. It was very sad and very beautiful at the same time, as truth usually is. Haunting. I had to share.   :) ~Megan

Anonymous said...

If you live in Grand Rapids, you are approx. one hour from me! Is it as flat there as it is here in Ft. Wayne?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, it is so flat here.  It took a lot of getting used to!  I used to think Eastern NC was flat, but it is nothing like this.  We are only an hour from each other?  Hmmm!