Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The New Haircut

These photos were taken less than an hour ago.  The sun was bright and Allen and I were commenting on how the predicted rain never got here.  And now it's raining.  Allen got a haircut today, so that was a good excuse to take pictures out in the yard.  I took pictures of him, the boat, and of Buddha, our Boston Terrier. 

Photo 1 is of the canopy that Allen designed and built.  He bought conduit pipes and fitted them together, then measured and had the tarps made at a place not far from the house called, simply and appropriately, TARPS.  (They make tarps for trucks.) 

I think Allen's creation is ingenuous.  It will save us from baking in the sun, that's for sure.

Photos 2, 3, and 4 are of Allen and his best bud, Buddha.  Number 4, the silliest one, is Allen's favorite.  I like #3.

**I will not post a new entry before I leave, but I plan to update this entry just before leaving.  I have already shut off all my alerts in preparation for the journey.

UPDATE 9:38 p.m. eastern standard time.  Thursday May 12.

This is the last thing I will post before leaving on my Ohio River Journey.  I'll be gone at least 8 weeks, although we may be gone longer.  In any case, I should be back by the very end of July (at the latest).

I thank all of you who have been coming to my journal and posting comments.  I appreciate your insights.   Journaling has yielded a wealth of experience for me.  I had no idea when I started my journal that I would make so many intriguing connections.  All of you have been very integral to my search for "why I write" and "what being a writer means."

I was mighty impressed with the questions that were posted in "Theresa's Book of Questions."  I'm proud of these and will print them out and take them with me in my accordian folder that is filled with notes I've been collecting since January.  You've all given me much to think about.

Please don't forget about me while I'm gone; I'll be carrying you down the river with me.

Best, Theresa

p.s.  Those of you who are familiar with my Sun stories:  the final story of the collection will be published in The Sun in the July issue.  If you run across an issue somewhere, think about the fact that you'll be seeing it before I will!  The story is called "The Falls."  Check the Sun website at the beginning of July when they post the new issue--they have excerpts of stories and articles; perhaps they'll have an excerpt posted of "The Falls."

Good-bye, everyone.  Have a wonderful summer.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good looking husband, good looking dog, is that Buddah?
Good luck on your journey, enjoy every single minute of it!
                               *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

great pictures.  loved the last one!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Theresa, you are absolutely in the the throes of preparation.  HOW EXCITING!!!!  Happy boating.  Happy writing.  Happy lazing.  Happy exploring.  Happy days indeed!

Lovely pics - they are both adorable!

Love, Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Oh, what wonderful photographs. I'll be thinking of you as y'all wind your way along the river.  I hope the trip is wonderful.  I hope the inner journey is rich,and I hope it bears many future, literary fruits.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! And stay dry!
Jude

Anonymous said...

Everyone looks in good spirits! Enjoy the trip and looking forward to the recaps when you return!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Have a terrific time!  I am soooo envious.  Be safe, take lots of notes.  I know we will all be intensely curious.  Can't wait, but I guess we will have to, darn it.  I know the time will fly by.  Best wishes, Bruce  

Anonymous said...

"It is fatal to let any dog know that he is funny, for he immediately loses his head and starts hamming it up."
P. G. Wodehouse

"He had as much fun in the water as any person I have known. You didn't have to throw a stick in the water to get him to go in. Of course, he would bring back a stick to you if you did throw one in. He would even have brought back a piano if you had thrown one in."
James Thurber The Thurber Carnival

"He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They looked as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I never tired looking into them."
John Muir An Adventure with a Dog

Follow Buddha's lead. Lie in the sun. Jump in the water. Run free. Get your belly scratched. Don't think too much. Follow your instincts. Snap at questions that bubble to the surface.
Talk to folks in Pittsburgh- Nicest people. Just like Ohio. Have a marvelous trip!
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I know I should say nice things but I'm not like that.  I am a child, tugging at your apron strings, saying must you go?  But it's 8 weeks, and I just received your out of office reply, you'll be away until July 30!  If you have to go, couldn't it just be one or two weeks?  Please?  Besides, I wanted to write about going into the deep side of ourselves to mine what's there, and also about loving our audience, because I told my off-line journal I wrote to a box, it's a loving, compassionate, forgiving box, but a box nevertheless.  **sigh**

Missing you already and sending all good wishes to the universe for you.
--Beth

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, Theresa, sniff sniff.  Allow me to add my whining to Beth's.  I shall sorely miss you and your wonderful words of encouragement and insight.  I shall miss your writing and pictures and comments, and most of all I shall miss YOU.

Still, don't mind us whining Winnies.  Have a FABULOUS voyage of self-discovery and share it all with us upon your SAFE return.  (If you do talk to strangers, make sure they are interesting, and keep Allen close by - and then write all about them).

OK, I have probably said enough goodbyes, but don't be surprised if there are more.

Love, Vicky xxx

Anonymous said...

Awww, Theresa, Allen & Buddha!  Have a wonderful eight weeks!
I`m so looking forward to the tales of your adventures!!
Hugs to all and Bon Voyage!!
V

Anonymous said...

Wow, a real author, one who's actually got things published.  What's that like?  Lol.  Anyway, I was doing a search on AOL for writers and I obviously hit the jackpot.  I'm an aspiring author, and I found your journal quite interesting.  I just want to say you're the coolest and thanks for inspiring me for getting published.  Someday...

Anonymous said...

AAARrrggghhhh -- missed the update!  But in case you are able to check in at some cool Ohio River internet cafe -- I hope it's GREAT!

Anonymous said...

The river flows
It flows to the sea
Wherever that river goes
That's where I want to be
Flow river flow
Let your waters wash down
Take me from this road
To some other town.

--Roger McGuinn, "Ballad of Easy Rider"

Anonymous said...

I will miss you! Have a blast! judi

Anonymous said...

Theresa, we certainly won't forget you while you're gone. Have a great time and please keep in touch when you return.        Jon

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking you'll be home soon....