Friday, August 6, 2004

Seeking

The word "seek" is etymologically related, not to "see," as might appear to be the case, but to "sagacious."  What is needed is not simply seeing but a quality of discernment regarding what is seen, a piercing insight that looks deeper than mere surface appearances.  --Natalie Baan

For me, being a writer also means being a seeker.  This means finding the clear path to my creativity, which is the same as finding a clear path to my "self." 

Life's troubles, like the devil, can waylay you as you try to walk the path.  The path is the way,  in other words, freedom.  The Chinese call this concept tao.  They were well aware how easy it is to lose one's path.  Lao-tzu wrote, "Heaven and earth are ruthless.  To them the ten thousand things are but strawdogs.  Life imposes its troubles on us and is indifferent to our longings and fears." 

As a writer I want to aspire to be a sage, one who understands the tao of things and is not unduly disturbed.  I don't want to become entangled with everything I meet and become untrue to myself. Chuang-tzu says of people who are untrue to themselves:  "Day after day they use their minds in strife.  Their little fears are mean and trembly; their great fears are stunned and overwhelming." 

I want to become a person true to myself, my path.  "The 'True Person'of Lao-tzu and Chuang-tzu lives fully in the world without being overwhelmed by its frenzy and muddle.  He is impervious to the social pressures bearing down on him.  'He can commit an error and not regret it, meet with success and not make a show.'"

 Lao-tzu says the way of the sage is like water, which "benefits the ten thousand creatures; yet itself does not scramble, but is content with the places that all men disdain." 

Can the way of the writer, then, be like water?  A flowing and nourishing act?  That is how I would like writing to be for me.

Everything is a pitfall for the unwary and the faithless.  And nothing is a pitfall for the courageous seeker who just shakes it off like a bear. --Shri Parthasarathi Rajagopalachari

Ideas about tao taken from Stephen Batchelor's "The Devil in the Way."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good concept, never being overwhelmed,  commit an error and not regret it. All my life I have overcome the overwhelming things that have happened, some very quickly others took more time. Errors, yes, I have commited them. Some I deeply regret but I will not allow them to control me.
Can the way of the writer be like water? Yes. Words are food, without them we are malnourished and cannot grow. The writer is the water that causes the words to grow.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you are saying.  Our true self is so burdened by all the coats thrown on us by throughout our lives---parents, children, siblings, friends, teachers.  Eventually we become uncomfortable with this weight and need to realize the relief we could feel by shedding these coats.  As Tina Turner said  "Whatever is getting you down, get rid of it.  Because you'll find that when you are free your true creativity, your true self comes out."