Wednesday, August 4, 2004

Salvation

Ariande Thread

Moyers: Thesus says to Ariadne, "I'll love you forever if you can show me a way to come out of the labyrinth." So she gives him a ball of string, which he unwinds as he goes into the labyrinth, and then follows to find the way out. ...

Campbell: That's all you need--an Ariadne thread.

Moyers: Sometimes we look for great wealth to save us, a great power to save us, or great ideas to save us, when all we need is that piece of string.

Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers. The Power of Myth.

When you write, your characters are searching for the Ariadne thread.  In the kind of writing I do, I am also searching for the Ariande thread.  My characters and I find the thread together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that.
The thread is what we all need to stay alive. It is attached to what is good in our life and when we drop or break it, we flounder. It is the reason some women stay with abusive men, they think he is their thread.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree she thinks the abuser is her thread.  What she would need to learn is that thread only leads to a dead end in the labyrinth.  The Ariande thread will lead her out of the labyrinth, into freedom.  Thanks for sharing!