Thursday, August 19, 2004

A room of one's own

I believe it was Virginia Woolf who said that in order to write, one must have a room of one's own.  I have found this to be literally true for me.  From the earliest days of my writing, I found I needed to have my own space and solitude in which to work.  This picture is of the windowsill in my writing studio, which I've made into a kind of altar.  The little white figure is what I call my "Writing Shaman."  My husband made it for me out of clay.  I have several of these writing shamans,  The shell-decorated box has a bird's nest on top of it.  I put eggs and sometimes skulls and bones into the nests.  Behind the nest is a Christmas card from a favorite professor at East Carolina University.  If you look carefully, you will see cobwebs.  I'm not a very good housekeeper.  I'd rather be reading or writing.

No comments: