Monday, August 22, 2005

Yes sir, Big Sur

At Big Sur

At the end of September, I'll be flying to Big Sur, CA in order to teach three writing workshops at Esalen.  I'll be meeting other Sun authors there, as well as Sun staffers.  (The Sun is a magazine in which four of my short stories have recently appeared.  You can get more information on The Sun by clicking on my sidebar or on the links in this paragraph).

Although I've taught writing classes for many years, this will be my fist experience teaching at Esalen.  In looking over Esalen's website, I found that both Joseph Campbell and Rollo May have lectured there. 

I'll be doing workshops on autobiographical fiction, personal essay, and incorporating elements of the shadow into one's writing.  I'll just be gone for one weekend.

Not only is it my first experience teaching at Esalen, but also my first time flying.  Am I the only person in the United States who has never flown in a plane? 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Am I the only person in the United States who has never flown in a plane?" Probably!  Have fun.

I have never been to Esalen, Theresa, but I have visited Big Sur several times, and I know you will fall in love with it.  Stunning, serene, majestic, awe-inspiring.  Etc.  Blue, blue water, craggy rock formations, soaring ocean spume.  I am so happy for you that you have this opportunity, and envious of those who will be attending your workshops.  Still, we in J-Land have your journal!

Esalen is legendary.  Make sure you take advantage of their amenities!  I am so excited for you.  Enjoy!!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Rollo May at Esalen?      touchy-feelie existentialism amid the kelp and Sequoias.    THAT must've been a trip.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure.  I've been reading, off and on. a book of Joseph Campbell material based on lectures at Esalen -- (which I totally think of as a place full of naked hippies in hot tubs!).  Your workshops sound interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you, congratulations!  I wish I could attend one of your workshops. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences there.

Judi

p.s. - I've flown, but I think I may be one of the only people in Texas who's never been to Mexico...

Anonymous said...

     What a wonderful honor. Congratulations and good luck. When my boys flew in April, Jon told me he was nervous. I told him exactly what I felt. The most gorgeous view I have ever seen are big, fluffy cumulous clouds from the window of an airplane. Good luck and have fun.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting!  What a wonderful opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Big Sur- Sage, sea lions, hidden coves in magnificent beaches- Forget the Esalen stereotypes- if they have a hot tub ready, jump in! They will adore you- Much success and have a marvelous trip!
ggw07

Anonymous said...

Ocean, can't wait to see that hot tub!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes your words make me giggle like a school girl ~ so worldly and so not worldly all at once.  I simply can not believe you have never flown....

Christina

Anonymous said...

Christina, somehow you have described me exactly.  

Anonymous said...

Holy mackerel, Esalen is still open? Say hi to Bob&Carol&Ted&Alice.

Anonymous said...

Sure have missed you!  I'm catching up tonight.

Derek

http://journals.aol.com/deveil/PictureoftheDay/

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! A big feather in your Cap!!
V