Friday, January 7, 2005

For Vicky

Russell Banks

Thanks so much to Midlife Matters for dedicating the beautiful winter photograph to me.

In contemplating this act of dedicating entries to one another, I realize that I haven't dedicated an entry as yet to my friend, Vicky (My Incentive), whom I met online just this past August.  Since, we've had many fine conversations.  We recently wrote to each other of the pleasures and perils of talking, and so this poem from the Writer's Almanac reminds me of our discussion:

"About Friends" by Brian Jones, from Spitfire on the Northern Line © Chatto and Windus.  


About Friends

The good thing about friends
is not having to finish sentences.

I sat a whole summer afternoon with my friend once
on a river bank, bashing heels on the baked mud
and watching the small chunks slide into the water
and listening to them - plop plop plop.
He said, 'I like the twigs when they...you know...
like that.' I said, 'There's that branch...'
We both said, 'Mmmm'. The river flowed and flowed
and there were lots of butterflies, that afternoon.

I first thought there was a sad thing about friends
when we met twenty years later.
We both talked hundreds of sentences,
taking care to finish all we said,
and explain it all very carefully,
as if we'd been discovered in places
we should not be, and were somehow ashamed.

I understood then what the river meant by flowing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This poem just works on so many levels.  Here are the three that interest me now:

1--  It reminds me of Vicky because I think if we met in person, we would not have to speak to each other in complete sentences. 

2--I think the poem also says something about the way we grow away from ourselves (The Bush people of Australia call this being "far hearted") as we get older, and so lose our  connections to people and to the very rhythm of the earth on which we live.

3--The poem says something about storytelling because sometimes what we DON'T say in a story is as important as what we DO say.  My own writing process is a matter of constantly taking out unneeded material.  I am reminded of an example that the novelist Russell Banks once told about sending one of his manuscripts to his editor.  His editor told him he needed to cut several pages from his manuscript.  He did cut the pages.  However, by cutting the fat out of his manuscript, he discovered new intriguing details and scenes that he now wanted to add.  He added the new material and the manuscript swelled and ended up being longer than the manuscript he originally sent to his publisher.  The publisher called Banks and said, "Good, it's much shorter now."

The "fat" in the manuscript kept him from seeing the possibilities in his story.  Also, the "fat" in the manuscript is a lot like the "fat" in some of our friendly conversations.  We often use it to pad our nervousness, our perceived inadequacies, or our lack of connection.

The connection that I feel to Vicky is a lot like the one I feel to my writing.  Both quicken the blood.  Both bring purpose and meaning to my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry.  I'm also thankful I've gotten to know both you and Vicky online.

Anonymous said...

This:
My own writing process is a matter of constantly taking out unneeded material.

and this:
The "fat" in the manuscript kept him from seeing the possibilities in his story.

I get both of these thoughts and am in fact haunted by them in my own world.  Thanks for visiting my humble journal and I shall return again and again to yours.

Christina

Anonymous said...

My dear Theresa, I read this earlier this morning and felt so overwhelmed I could not respond.  Now I read it again, and still appropriate words fail me, but my impulsive nature drives me to write something...anything.  I am honored, touched, and warmed by your entry.  The pleasure is all mine, as they say in Victorian novels.  Who could have known what would come from a simple (again impulsive) congratulatory e-mail message after reading your story in "The Sun?"  Who would have thought that such deep humann connections could be found in a new machine-driven technology such as the Internet?  

Yes, we have been talking about talking.  I said in an e-mail to you that I can imagine sitting with you in front of a roaring fire, our hands cupped around steaming mugs of tea, alternatively speaking and silently gazing into the flames.  I also have visions of some sort of "group" of the people I converse with in journal-land where we can all exchange thoughts and insights, and feel deep connections.  But guess what?  We HAVE that already!  What a blessing!  The journal writing does cut the fat of chitchat and meaningless social convention, and in that way we cut to the depths of who we are and what we believe and feel.  How glorious!

I have not read any Russell Banks (oh dear, so much to read!) but was very deeply affected by the movie of "The Sweet Hereafter" in particular.  He sounds like a very wise man.

My love to you, dear Theresa.  Your journal is a true gift to all of us who read it, and our friendship is a precious jewel.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/~vxv789/

P.S.  I guess I DID find the words after all!  See what happens when one starts to write?  :)

Anonymous said...

Your writing and journal serves as an oasis in an often intellectually baren land.  I'm hooked!  Thanks so much for your kind words and visit.  

http://journals.aol.com/sandybottomii/MentalJewelry