Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Art of Redemption

John Gardner

John Gardner's Art of Fiction was required reading when I came through the university writing system.  I also read his marvelous novel, Grendel as an undergraduate and as a graduate student.  I rank Grendel as one of my all-time favorite novels.  It is the story of Beowulf from the monster's point of view. 

In another book called On Moral Fiction, Gardner asserted that all artists work from a psychic "wound."  I mention this now because several people have stated recently that they find writing to be theraputic.  (And indeed, all the arts are theraputic.) 

I know that every poem or story I have written has alleviated some kind of burden, helped me to endure various dilemmas.  For some reason, though, this fact has been somewhat embarrassing for me to admit.  Not to my writer-friends, certainly.  But within the academic world, something seems unseemly, downright weak, about writing to heal.  Reading in an article recently that Gardner, a magnificent novelist and scholar, equated writing and healing, has made me feel bolder.

The article reveals that Gardner's deep personal wound was probably the death of his younger brother in a childhood accident.  Gardner blamed himself for the brother's death (the brother fell from a tractor that 11 year old Gardner was driving).

Just after I read the article about Gardner, I was flipping though a book of poetry recently sent to me by a former student, and one of the poems is "Hoeing," by John Updike.  The poem can have many interpretations, of course, but as I was reading it, I was struck by how similar the act of hoeing in the poem seems to the act of writing:

I sometimes fear the younger generation will be deprived

     of the pleasures of hoeing;

     there is no knowing

how many souls have been formed by this simple exercise.

 

The dry earth like a great scab breaks, revealing

     moist-dark loam--

     the pea-root's home,

a fertile wound perpetually healing.

 

How neatly the green weeds go under!

     The blade chops the earth new.

     Ignorant the wise boy who

has never performed this simple, stupid, and useful wonder.

 

I like to think of the human mind as earth, a place of fertility, creativity.  The hoeing in Updike's poem is the mental task of breaking through the crust of our numbed existence.  It is also the process of making choices in our writing about what stays and what goes.  What we "discard" is not destroyed but simply turned under.  The ideas we don't "use," continue to fertilize our thoughts.

When Updike says "stupid," I believe he is not being derogatory.  Rather I think he is being modest.  Certainly, neither gardeners nor writers can afford to let their heads swell too much.  For neither gardening nor writing can be fully controlled. 

The article about John Gardner suggested that through his prolific writing, he was somehow trying to atone for his brother's death.  No one can be sure if Gardner himself understood this.  We can't be sure, either, why we are driven to write.  But through our writing, we may find ourselves ever closer to the truth. 

 

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, another writer for me to explore - thank you, Theresa.

And that was a beautiful, heartfelt poem by Updike.

I think that the less self-conscious, less "writerly,"  are often quite unabashed in their use of writing as therapy.  (And I don't mean that as judgmental, it is merely an observation.)  In wandering through journal-land and in other explorations, I find that those who unashamedly pour out their feelings into unsophisticated poetry or purple prose are often the same people who say how much it helps them process their feelings.  Certainly for me (and maybe it is that "J" I carry around on the end of my "INF"), my temptation is to censor, to edit, to find "le mot juste," and then the flow is chopped short, and the therapeutic aspect is stanched before it can have an effect.

You, my dear, have the gift of marrying quality writing with feeling and flow (at least that is the end result) and I am very happy for you that you have accepted its therapeutic benefits, for they are many.

Vicky
My Incentive http://www.livejournal.com/~vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Vicky, Thank you for your comments.  

It should be said that I have written volumes of purple prose.  

The way I learned to avoid it was by reading tons and tons good stuff.  Sometimes for me, purple prose was my way to impress readers, I think.  So I wasn't writing from my true heart, although afterwards I did feel better.  

About that persistent "J"--you really must make it behave itself.  It really should not be involved in your early-stage writing.  You can tame the "J" by doing freewriting or what the magical realist writers sometimes called "automatic" writing.  You time yourself and just write as fast as you can.  Close your eyes as you write or turn off your computer screen.  That will get you into your right brain where the "J" positively does not reside.  Eventually, it will become easier and easier for you to fall into your right brain mode.

Thank you for the compliments. :-)

Anonymous said...

Have you read Gardner's short story, "Redemption"?  I liked it and thought it truly beautiful.  I love this concept of redemption you mention, Theresa, and I think I write in part for that reason - if only I could find what it is that I think I need redemption for.  What is that bad thing for which I feel guilt and must find atonement?

Anonymous said...

Ah, Theresa - banish the J???  How scary is that!  But the free writing idea is intriguing.  I have heard of the "morning pages" idea from "The Artist's Way," but the idea of turning off the screen, closing my eyes, pulling closed the drapes - how appealing.  

OK, I'll try it!

As for purple prose, it absolutely has its place and can be most entertaining in its own fashion.  It's strange, but I was about to say it isn't authentic, but how does that fit with the idea I proposed earlier that it has a redemptive and therapeutic quality?  I think that maybe the content is authentic, but the expression isn't.  The expression can soar with apt vocabulary, clever and well-placed punctuation and grammar, and thoughtful imagery.  Or is that the casuist in me??  Uh oh - there goes that J again!  :)

As for the compliments, well THOSE are surely well-placed!

Anonymous said...

What is that bad thing for which I feel guilt and must find atonement?
Comment from escgriggs

Beth, I don't know.  But I think for me, it is simply "life" itself that presents the quandary.  The wound (as well as the joy) is life.  I think we are driven to seek unity (the "original unity" i.e. as represented by the Garden of Eden, our pre-birth, love/sex).  Not finding it (finding it only rarely) we feel hollow, incomplete.  I believe Gardner felt that way.  That was what drove him in his academic life, in his writing, and in his personal life.  I haven't read the story you mention.  I would like to.

Anonymous said...

I think that maybe the content is authentic, but the expression isn't.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vicky, Ah, that "J" has a purpose for sure.  PERFECTLY rendered distinction.  I don't think I could have expressed it nearly so well.  I like this a great deal.  Thanks so much for insight.  Times like this, I wish I had more "J."  --Theresa

Anonymous said...

I pour out all my whinings into my journal, and I recognize the therapy of that.  Even though there's some decent writing in my journal, so much of it is just the emotional release of confession. When it comes to what I think of as my real writing, somehow, I'm still lacking the courage to let it get much past the scabs. Part of me knows that I'm holding back. Part of me fears that I truly lack the talent.  There's more to being a good writer than having a decent turn of phrase.  Part of me is telling the editorial voice of my J to shut up and just let me write. I think I need to go back and redo The Artist's Way again, and part of me is rebelling, saying,"Don't you have enough to do?" Oh well, this is another area in which I'll just believe that one day I'll get there.  Why did the image from Peter Pan of people clapping, saying, 'I believe in fairies. I do believe in fairies," just pop into my head?

Anonymous said...

I forget through which journaler I found your journal but I'm glad that I did. I think writing AND reading can be very theraputic. It's kind of neat if you think about it - the impact of words. Thanks for sharing the poem. I don't think I have ever read anything by John Gardner but have Grendel on my list of must reads because he was previously mentioned by another journaler. :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this entry......


oh boy I love poetry!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Gardner... the critic`s choice before Pynchon.
Thanks for this entry.
V

Anonymous said...

I find that when I come over and visit I always find something fascinating to read.  The poem is wonderful.  I did not realize that Gardner was so young when he passed.  Belfastcowboy did several posts regarding Grendel several months ago.  I was not an English major and missed out on so much.  

Anonymous said...

I needed this today.  I find it almost painful to share what I write because most of it does come from a "wound."  Thanks again for a great entry.  

Anonymous said...

I have always thought of hoeing as theraputic. Writing in my journal has always been that way too.