Monday, December 27, 2004

Still the Question

"The Path" painting by Reginal Machell *******************************************************

Thus It Was

by Dag Hammarskjold

I am being driven forward

Into an unknown land.

The pass grows steeper,

The air colder and sharper,

A wind from my unknown goal

Stirs the strings

Of expectation.

 

Still the question:

Shall I ever get there?

There where life resounds,

A clear pure note

In the silence.

******************************************************

You cannot see beauty outside unless you have beauty within you. You cannot understand beauty unless you yourself are beautiful inside. You cannot understand harmony unless you yourself in your inner parts are harmony. All things of value are within yourself, and the outside world merely offers you the stimulus, the stimulation, of and to the exercise of the understanding faculty within you. -- G. de Purucker

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to write in my next entry about the imagination and the creative life.  These two quotes are but a prelude to that discussion...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes yes and yes, Theresa.  The work, the searching, the inspiration all begin within.  Living in the moment and listening to the still small voice, the witness to one's external life.  I look forward very much to your thoughts, my dear.

Vicky

Anonymous said...

This speaks to me so much of the nature of the quest.  We have such expectations of what it will be like when we get there.  For myself, I think it's time to focus less on the goal and more on the journey.  For the observations of beauty without and within,  oh yes.

Anonymous said...

The first quote to me speaks not of a journey of the body but one of the soul after death had occured. The second one I need to work on. I need to learn to value myself and what I can do.