Thursday, July 29, 2004

Possibility of Your Perfection

In The Power of Myth Joseph Campbell writes:  "Myths inspire the realization of the possibility of your perfection, the fullness of your strength, and the bringing of solar light into the world.  Slaying monsters is slaying the dark things.  Myths grab you somewhere down inside. ... Myths are infinite in their revelation. ...[In saving yourself] you save the world.  The influence of a vital person vitalizes,... The world without spirit is a wasteland.  ...The thing to do is bring life to [the world], and the only way to do that is to find in your own case where the life is and become alive yourself."  (pp. 183-184)* This is how I feel about my relationship to writing.  I have come to recognize it is my creative life that makes me feel alive.  It creates a spark that hopefully will spread to others, vitalizing their world.  This is what I want to do; this is what I really want to do.

*Campbell, Joseph.  The Power of Myth.  Eds. Bill Moyers and Betty Sue Flowers.  New York:  Anchor, 1991.

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/campb.htm 

http://www.online.pacifica.edu/cgl/Campbell 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice journal, I will be back

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Joseph Campell is an extraordinary story teller. His "Mythos" series inspires me always as I attempt to transcend mythology while it evolves through me. Much of my journal reflects these powerful ideals, as Myths provide anchor points for the coincidences to happen...especially in the beginning with the first group of entries.
Thanks for your generous journal.
Scott
http://journals.aol.com/cgscotty/CorpsOfRediscovery