Friday, July 30, 2004

Confession

At a writing conference I once attended, three authors, women, talked about the label sometimes applied to writers:  "Confessional."  They said that sometimes women writers are labeled "Confessional" as a way of depreciating what they do.  One of the women, though, called the term "Confessional" a plus.  It is what we do, she said, when we come to the page, we confess some hidden truth and hope the reader will respond with generosity and understanding.  This is what I try to do when I approach the writing process:  get down on my knees and bare my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, for me, a lot of my writing is confessional - it allows me to work through the issues in my life, share things I need to share, ponder things that need to be pondered.  I don't see that as depreciating the work that I do.  Nor do I see, though, the writing of a blog as a lesser art than writing the great american novel.  In my opinion, of writing and reading, as long as you are doing it, you're golden.  Whatever people choose to read or choose to write, they are expressing themselves or expanding their minds.  Do you agree?

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visit to my journal.
The reading of your journal has given me something to think of. Why do I write? Is it a confessional? Yes, I believe it is at times. Writing is not something I did much of except for assignments in school and those I always aced. Back then I was always afraid to bear my soul even to myself. In my journal, I must confess to holding back. There are glimmers into me if you are preceptive to them.
Thank you. I will be back.
Celeste
http:journals.aol.com/csandhollow/mydayandthoughts/