Sunday, November 6, 2005

Write With Your Whole Life

One of the ideas I've talked about in my journal before is "loving my reader."  This is something I discovered as I was writing my novel, that I needed to love my reader in order to compose meaningful prose. 

I've not talked about what this means, "loving my reader," partly because I wasn't sure how to explain it.

In my reading the other night, I found something that may serve as at least a partial explanation.  It is from Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching

Some of us have been asking about the difference between writing that is theraputic to the writer and writing that is theraputic to the reader.  This is an issue I had to deal with my own novel because so much of the book is autobiographical.  How could I write about my own pain in a way that would be meaningful for readers? 

In his book, Thich Nhat Hanh discusses forms of writing.  He tells us:  "Of course you have suffered, but the other person has also suffered." 

I think this is an important realization.

I think this realization is what transforms our own suffering into something our readers can use.  We have to write with recognition that our reader has suffered, too.

Thich Nhat Hanh  says that the other person's suffering is worth our compassion:  "When you begin to understand the suffering of the other person, compassion will arise in you, and the language you use will have the power of healing.  Compassion is the only energy that can help us connect with another person."

When we write, we are making important connections to others.   As Thich Nhat Hanh says, "We know that our words will affect many other people."  So it helps to consider the affect our words might have.

Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Writing is a deep practice.  Even before we begin writing, during whatever we are doing--gardening or sweeping the floor--our book or essay is being written deep in our consciousness.  To write a book, we must write with our whole life, not just during the moments we are sitting at our desk."

I love this phrase:  "WE MUST WRITE WITH OUR WHOLE LIFE." 

I also like the way Thich Nhat Hanh says that writing is a "Deep practice."

I'm not saying that our writing must be light and happy all the time.  A lot of good writing is dark and a lot of good writing--important writing-- expresses hopelessness.  We need to know that others feel hopeless, so that we don't feel so alone. 

But what I believe Thich Nhat Hanh is saying is that when we express anything in writing, we have a responsibility, not just to ourselves, not just to our own anger, our own hurt, our own need, but to our readers. 

One of the things I'm learning as I read about Buddhism is that there is no concept of "self" because we are all connected. 

I am not separate from my reader!

Isn't that just the most amazing thing?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Writing is a deep practice.  Even before we begin writing, during whatever we are doing--gardening or sweeping the floor--our book or essay is being written deep in our consciousness.  To write a book, we must write with our whole life, not just during the moments we are sitting at our desk.""

ABSOLUTELY TRUE! It couldn't have been put better.

Wonderful entry, again lol... Do love your writing.

~Lily

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa,
thank you for writing this. While I am reading this, yes, I felt the connection.
And it is in that connection which makes me come back and look forward to more of your wonderful writings.
Thank you.
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

"He tells us:  'Of course you have suffered, but the other person has also suffered.'"

This is so easy to forget when we are caught up (understandably) in our own pain.  It seems, however, that that very connection between two people (the writer and the reader) is what causes the work to resonate.  

Theresa, this has been your mantra for some time, and I love how you explain it here.  Compassion is something you have in buckets, and it shows in your writing most beautifully.  For it is clear in your work that you love your protagonist and that is good, for so much of her, as you say, is you.  

Vicky

Anonymous said...

Important words of wisdom ... thanks for sharing them with us.
                       *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful entry, and helps to point the way for some writing projects I've been thinking about.  THANK you!

Anonymous said...

I am going to keep this entry in my heart.

Anonymous said...

OOO!  LOVE this book.  A close girlfriend of mine and I are sharing this book right now...it's our own little form of book club.  We each get the book until the other requests it (per our mommy schedules).  It's become a really fun way to have someone to knock ideas around with.  We are both becoming Hanh groupies so to speak.  Yes...it is amazing. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Geez Theresa, when you come back you do so with amazing force!  Woo-hoo!

Heck, I'm still trying to get the correct form in writing down to perfection and now I have to think outside the box and be an existential writer as well?  
Oh dear Theresa...oh dear!
 
I love this entry and if you don't mind, I'm going to cut and paste it into a word document so that I can read it even when I'm not online.  

Warmest hugs and huge grins to you,

T

Anonymous said...

"WE MUST WRITE WITH OUR WHOLE LIFE."
"I need to love my reader..."
"...there is no concept of "self" because we are all connected."

Great lines!  Powerful thoughts and ohhh so true!  I'm so glad that I found your journal. Thank you for being here and thank you for being you.

Love,

T  

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words of wisdom. I'd never thought of "the reader" quite that way before. I'd always learned "Know who you are writing FOR". This adds a whole new dimension to writing.
KAthy

Anonymous said...

Read this just as I was finishing my first major work- Particularly poignant for first draft- and throwing whole self into it- plus deepening characters- so they are not cardboard cut outs- and for antagonist especially. Reminded of responsibility of writer as well- toward a higher purpose- the choices along the way. I smiled when I read this- feeling close to the smiling Buddha- what a journey-
ggw07@aol.com

Anonymous said...

If we are not separate from anyone else, if we are all connected, then we are not separate from the psychopath or the sociopath (I always get the two kinds mixed up) who talks about slitting someone's throat as if it was fun, or less than fun, not worth thinking about, like swatting a fly or urinating or chewing gum.  We are not separate from bigots or terrorists or worse, the ordinary, normal people in the other political party, whose views we find wrong, dead wrong.  Worst of all, we are not separate from the mother (or father) who abused us, who continues to abuse us at every birthday or holiday get together, and who mocks any attempt at speaking truth.  This is not a comfortable thought.  I don't want to be connected to these people.  

Anonymous said...

"Teagrapple,"

There are two ways to look at it.  First, I think it's reasonable to presuppose some capacity for empathy in your readers.  People with the kinds of conditions you describe are incapable of empathy.  Two, I have always thought it useful to think about how I might be connected to evil, somehow.  Studies done after the Holocaust suggest that we all have a capacity for evil.  Hannah Arendt called this capacity "The Banality of Evil."  It is fascinating stuff.  So taking oneself into the abyss, into the evil, may be necessary in order to avoid acting in an evil way ourselves.  If I understand my own capacity for evil, I won't, hopefully, act on evil impulses.  If more people had done this during the Holocaust, perhaps more people could have been saved.

Anonymous said...

I liked this post very much Theresa. judi

Anonymous said...

Theresa, It`s funny, we`re traveling a similar path. I`ve been taking seminars in Mindfulness, which has Tibetan Buddhism as a theoretical base.

"When you begin to understand the suffering of the other person, compassion will arise in you, and the language you use will have the power of healing.  Compassion is the only energy that can help us connect with another person."

What a lovely and profound thought.

V

Anonymous said...

Want to find a great way to help animals? Go to peta2.com.