Monday, February 7, 2005

So Indelibly There.

Painting by Munch:  one of my favorite artists.  I was obsessed by his work in art school.

Vicky (My Incentive) recently did an entry on Donne's "Death Be Not Proud," a poem I have always loved.  Death is a subject many of us do not like to contemplate; it's a subject that's omnipresent in my own work because I keep trying to understand the human experience in light of our mortality.  One aspect that intrigues me is the idea of the womb/tomb--the fact that life can't exists without death.  My last entry was dedicated to the mothers; how awesome it is to think that when we give birth, we are giving birth to a person who will one day die.  We are giving birth to death.  Our own own wombs have written of for centuries as symbolic of the earth-womb, which will one day take us in.  The Writers Almanac poem below is a wonderful one of awakening--the speaker awakening to the awesome knowledge of death.

Poem: "Calf Born in Snow" by Patricia Gray, from Rupture. © Red Hen Press, L.A. Reprinted with permission.

Calf Born in Snow

I can still hear the loud moan
in my grandfather's kitchen,
where the woodstove was open
for the failing fire's warmth, and
on the oven door, wrapped
in an old quilt, lay the new Charolais calf-
a twin that survived its snowy birth
that morning, though its brother died-
both of them the color of muddy snow,
this one too weak to stand.

We tried to feed him his mother's milk,
but he seemed to forget he was eating
and slept, so that by ten that night, when
he raised his head suddenly, making
a loud maa-a-a-a sound, I could scarcely
believe it. "He's getting better!"
Dad put his hand on my shoulder.
"Quiet. He's dying," was all he said-
old knowledge, deep as the Blue Mountains.
Still, I'd witnessed that final, wonderful
rallying, as if every ounce of life pulled
together to raise the calf's head,
to leave his sound so indelibly there.

I love how the father says, "Quiet..."  I remember how my own grandmather told me to be quiet after she had learned of John Kennedy's assassination.  I was only 7 and didn't really understand what was happening, but her reaction made me pull into myself,  into deep thought--I knew something awesome had happened within her and to the country.  She was a quiet woman and didn't often express herself.  So when she did, I really paid attention.

I will never forget that day; and my memory hinges on that moment--her shushing me.  "Be quiet," she said, "The President's been shot.  The President is dead."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here's one of my favorites:  

The Two-Headed Calf
by Laura Gilpin

Tomorrow when the farm boys find this
freak of nature they will wrap his body
in newspaper and carry him to the museum.
But tonight he is alive and in the north
field with his mother. It is a perfect
summer evening: the moon rising over
the orchard, the wind in the grass. And
as he stares into the sky, there are
twice as many stars as usual.

Anonymous said...

I have been introduced to so many fine poets and interesting writers' lives through the Almanac, it's almost enough to make me write Garrison K. and let him know what a great service this is.  I feel in the company of wonderful people.  I don't feel so alone.  As a writer and something of a recluse, that's a wonderful feeling.

So...the entry about death...without writing, would there be a certain kind of death?  For us?  When we're on our death beds, will we wish we did...what?  It's so very important to be...awake....

Anonymous said...

Theresa, have you read "The Denial of Death " by Ernest Becker?
The most profound book on existence that I`ve read in my 25 years as a clinical psychologist.
http://journals.aol.com/deabvt/DeablerVT/
v

Anonymous said...

The poem reminds me of the evening I came home from work to take my dear dog, Zeus, to the vet's to be (I was almost certain) put to sleep.  He had lain quiet and dying at my son's feet all day, but when I came in the front door, he rallied and tottered forward to greet me.  I smiled but my tears flowed.  Later that evening I stood with him quietly to say goodbye as I looked into the now soft and quiet brown eyes which earlier had been so filled with pain.

Death is indeed an awe-inspiring concept.  It is so private yet so universal, so unique to the individual, yet so shared by the survivors -  friends, family, acquaintances.   Thanks for taking this further, Theresa, and displaying the powerful painting.

Vicky
My Incentive http://www.livejournal.com/~vxv789/14498.html

Anonymous said...

I love the "Quiet."  It's such a simple and profound way of saying attention must be paid.  It reminds me of the old habits of stopping the clocks and covering the mirrors in a house when a person died to say that for awhile, we will recognize the ending of another and not the continuance of self.

Anonymous said...

I liked this entry very much and I'd never seen that painting...fantastic!But maybe your grandmother just wanted to hear the TV.

Anonymous said...

greetings.  Robin, of MidlifeMatters, refers to your journal often.   so, i have finally gotten here to read you.  and i will be back often.  this is a lovely place.  you enjoy The Writer's Almanac as much as i do (one of my entries today is from it, on Alice Walker's birthday).  it's a very literate place, this journal.  which suits me just fine.  Munch is also one of my favorite painters - this painting moves me today in particular.  I live in a neighborhood of elderly people, three of whom have died over the past ten days.  i went to one of the funerals, and it was such a real celebration of a woman's life as wife, mother, naturalist, grandmother, strong and feisty human being,  that i left it with a feeling of joy and uplift.  not the usual funereal gloom.
anyway, i'm glad i finally made it over here - please come visit either or both of my journals, and say hello.
journals.aol.com/marigolds2/thewindmillsofmymind
journals.aol.com/marigolds2/TheBiblioPhiles

Anonymous said...

    Great poem ...thank you for sharing it with us. Yes ... moments of requested silence do most often center around death in my mind too.

                            *** Coy ***

http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain